autobon7

Plug on pigtail that plugs into alternator fried, avail?

6 posts / 1911 viewsLast Reply

When installing my new 80A alternator noticed that the 3 prong plug had the top hole (rubber) badly melted. Sorry no pics as its at my buddies house. The black boot has one top hole and 2 bottom holes. How standard or available is this? Sorry for the basic question just don't know.....and yes I did try search.

Any help is very much appreciated.

The higher amp alternators are internally voltage regulated and do not need the full complement of wires in the stock molded piece, nor does that molded piece fit the newer alternators.

There is a write up in the faq section on the alternator upgrade

I believe you are looking for a Bosch Alternator and Voltage Regulator 3 wire connector. They are available aftermarket. I bought one a few years ago. I don't think I got it here, but this is what I had on file:

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/Bosch-Voltage-Regulator-Alternator-Repair-Connector-3-Wire.html

Bosch Voltage Regulator Alternator Repair Connector 3 Wire

Bosch Alternator and Voltage Regulator 3 wire connector

SKU: RC1300J

Brand: JMC

$7.99

EDIT: proslack beat me to it. The above is for a stock 2002/2002tii alternator. Don't know about the 80 amp ones.

--Fred

I believe you are looking for a Bosch Alternator and Voltage Regulator 3 wire connector. They are available aftermarket. I bought one a few years ago. I don't think I got it here, but this is what I had on file:

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/Bosch-Voltage-Regulator-Alternator-Repair-Connector-3-Wire.html

Bosch Voltage Regulator Alternator Repair Connector 3 Wire

Bosch Alternator and Voltage Regulator 3 wire connector

SKU: RC1300J

Brand: JMC

$7.99

EDIT: proslack beat me to it. The above is for a stock 2002/2002tii alternator. Don't know about the 80 amp ones.

--Fred

That looks to be the one. Will get the numbers off the alt to compare notes but prolly not until friday.

Very helpful I need one for my car as well. That site looks nice spot on for some of my other projects.

I finally completely rebuilt that entire section of the F Bomb's harness about 10 days ago.

I installed a new stock alternator in the first week of ownership in 2011 and had one wire break at the Vintage NC event (8 weeks after I got the car) the night I arrived. Fixed it in the parking garage that night, but never really "fixed" it.....you know? *doh!*

Mine's a stock charging system.

As it happens, I was driving my 78 yr old dad around in the Bomb at dusk last month, and though the charging light never came on, suddenly the car wouldn't idle with the headlights on. She just died. I jump started it and limped it to his place (sans lights and signal usage) where it sat and charged over night. Drove it 30 miles home the next day and tested EVERYTHING. Turns out, another wire had broken and (although it was NEW last year) the bulb for charging telltale had burned out! I had no warning the previous night I guess!

The poor wiring fried the 18 month old alternator. Got a new one, a new regulator, and spent about 2 hours replacing 24" of the harness. I bought new female spade connectors (with tabs that lock them in the orig plastic block) and soldered / shrink tubed all my repairs. Put fresh plastic sleeving on it and she's good as new....AND I replaced the burned out charging light bulb!

Part number for the slick BMW female connectors w locking tabs:

61 13 8 608 021

Part number for BMW plastic plug:

61 13 8 608 018

The lesson: check your dash light warning bulbs and fix shit right the first time!

tii alternator plugs / wiring is a bugger to reach near the oil filter (that's why I blew it off for so long), but the repair was satisfying.