turbotom09

getting frustrated...

11 posts / 933 viewsLast Reply

I've searched high and low for an answer and read everything I can about tachometers not working...bad grounds bad connection from the dizzy yada yada....

My tach started reading low...probably by 1k rpm's or so. Then it wouldn't read above maybe 4k rpm's. Then it just quit altogether.

I pulled it out and inspected it. Nothing is fried or un-soldered that I can see. The black wire is in perfect shape and has brand new terminals soldered on. I ran an extra ground wire for the cluster (fixed my jumpy fuel gauge).

Can the tach just completely quit? Do I need a new one or is there anything else to check? Could it be something in the dizzy itself? It runs perfectly fine...

Thanks all, sorry about another stupid tach thread. It's just driving me nuts.

Cheers,

-Tom

I am not that familiar with the specific set up in an 02 but I suspect it is fried. If there are points and I assume your engine is running like a top with no coincidental misfires then there is not much else to go wrong.

The tach still needs 12v and ground and I think it may get these through the board. Look out for how that works and check it is there. There could be some contacts to clean or bend to attention somewhere.

Guest Anonymous

double check that the connection at the distributor is snug.

Mine was reading a bit low, more so on throttle. At the same time the coil was running a bit hot. Replaced coil and problem gone.

Maybe you could borrow a known-to-be-good coil by a buddy and try?

Mine was reading a bit low, more so on throttle. At the same time the coil was running a bit hot. Replaced coil and problem gone.

Actually it's funny you mention that, I thought I was crazy. The car had an oooold bosch red coil. I switched to an MSD blaster coil for shits and giggles, and the tach did seem to work (better atleast). Then the blaster fried my points. So I bought a new coil, and it just went back to not working.

Actually it's funny you mention that, I thought I was crazy. The car had an oooold bosch red coil. I switched to an MSD blaster coil for shits and giggles, and the tach did seem to work (better atleast). Then the blaster fried my points. So I bought a new coil, and it just went back to not working.

You aren´t running a coil with built in resistor and also having the originally installed in-wire-resistor?

I did that first, didn´t know there was a resistor in the wiring. My coil got hot, and when I understood the situation I removed the original wire with resistor and installed a Bosch blue coil with built in resistor. I have a Pertronix, though.

You aren´t running a coil with built in resistor and also having the originally installed in-wire-resistor?

I did that first, didn´t know there was a resistor in the wiring. My coil got hot, and when I understood the situation I removed the original wire with resistor and installed a Bosch blue coil with built in resistor. I have a Pertronix, though.

I'm running a coil without a built in resistor, I do have the resistor wire. It's not a bosch coil but its the equivilant of it, it came from Autozone.

I'm running a coil without a built in resistor, I do have the resistor wire. It's not a bosch coil but its the equivilant of it, it came from Autozone.