norm

2002 front struts in an 1800ti

13 posts / 1562 viewsLast Reply

Has anyone ever put 1971 2002 complete struts in a 1800ti? Why or why not would they fit and work?

Thank you in advance.

Norm

I believe Mike Pugh is running 2002 strut assemblies in his 1800. You just have to change the brake system from single circuit to dual circuit. Some people will argue that 2002 brakes are not strong enough to stop the larger NK cars, but that's subject to debate.

Did you use the front subframe too. Your NK looks nice!!!!!!!

Thank you

Norm

So Mojo's response does not answer my question then

Complete '02 struts should fit just fine, just need to change to single line Volvo calipers with small bearing 320i hubs and vented rotors. Or other brake setups that fit the '02 caliper/hub spacing. I don't think the 1800 brakes will bolt straight to the '02 struts. Sorry for not reading into the initial question.

I'm unclear how the subframe matters here. The '02 and NK's use the same balljoint on the bottom of the struts and seem to have the same bolt pattern at the top, so I would think that an '02 strut wil fit.

The nose of an NK is heavier than that of an '02, so spring rates and rebound rates will likely be affected but who knows by how much? Clearances inside the wheel well (I'm thinking spring perches, etc here) may also be a concern.

My guess is that they will fit and work, but how they perform is unclear.

So Mojo's response does not answer my question then

I don't think the subframe has anything to do with the strut assemblies since they use the same control arms. The point of swapping out the subframe to the 2002 subframe was because early motor mounts we're nla, but Ireland engineering has now reproduced them in polyurethane. I think you can bolt on complete 2002 strut assemblies with hubs, rotors, calipers etc, but you must convert the car to a dual circuit brake system. None of the front brake parts or strut assembly parts are interchangeable between the 2002 and nk. At least that's my understanding.

The reason why Im asking is because NK strut inserts are hard to find and also have less options.

Yes, it can be done as all the suspension related componants are the same, ie control arms, ball joints, etc... Strut mounts will bolt in as the spacing in the strut tower is the same.

There are some issues however...

The bearing size on early 1800Ti struts is the same as non-Tii 2002 struts, but the brake caliper spacing is 3.5" on the 1800Ti vs. 3" on the 2002. The hubs are also different. So you can't swap over the 1800Ti calipers, hub and rotors to the 2002 struts. I think single piston 320 calipers will fit on 2002 struts to avoid the dual circuit conversion, but I'm unsure about what hub/rotor is necessary for that caliper.

I expect there will be a difference in the height of the strut assembly and different spring rates may be necessary due to the difference in weight.

Of course you could always call Ground Control like I did...

P1030149.JPG