Charlie

Blinker Light Problems -73TiI

6 posts / 547 viewsLast Reply

When I placet the turn signal handle in position for a left hand turn , the green light on the dash doesn't blink.,although both the front and rear indicators work fine, when I put the turn signal handle in position for a right turn the green light blinks fine and all indicators works fine. Any clue has to why the dash light wont function when in the left hand position...?? thxs

Charlie

Charlie,

As Jim noted, check your left front assembly ground(s), the 2 sheet metal screws that hold the unit to the fender, make sure screws aren't rusty and the holes where they screw in to; you can also unscrew the unit from the fender and make sure the 2 wires that screw in to the posts, inner part of the unit, aren't oxidized/have frayed ends; if so, strip a little of the wire casing back to expose cleaner wiring but make sure you place the wire(s) in the same posts you took them out of.

You can also do a search as the back cover of the flasher relay is removable and let's you see if contacts are being made., the search will show you how to correct if a contact isn't being made

Tim

The bulb appears ok, as Charlie mentions the blinkers do work, the green "B" does not flash as he's operating the left turn. This has happened to a few 2002's I've owned and it came down to the flasher relay. I went ahead and replaced the relay, at the time wasn't aware the rear cover came off and contacts were visible/repairable. I'd still clean the grounds and check the bulb but the bulb seems ok., carry a set of 1157's as part of spares, the silver base Sylvania/Osrams

Tim

due to the little set of relay points inside the flasher unit--it's not the same set of points that operate the outside lights, and may need just a little tweak to make it function properly.

I did a column on how to fix this problem--presuming you've already checked lights, grounds and fuses--drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers

mike