• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blinker Light Problems -73TiI

Charlie

When I placet the turn signal handle in position for a left hand turn , the green light on the dash doesn't blink.,although both the front and rear indicators work fine, when I put the turn signal handle in position for a right turn the green light blinks fine and all indicators works fine. Any clue has to why the dash light wont function when in the left hand position...?? thxs

Charlie

Charlie,

As Jim noted, check your left front assembly ground(s), the 2 sheet metal screws that hold the unit to the fender, make sure screws aren't rusty and the holes where they screw in to; you can also unscrew the unit from the fender and make sure the 2 wires that screw in to the posts, inner part of the unit, aren't oxidized/have frayed ends; if so, strip a little of the wire casing back to expose cleaner wiring but make sure you place the wire(s) in the same posts you took them out of.

You can also do a search as the back cover of the flasher relay is removable and let's you see if contacts are being made., the search will show you how to correct if a contact isn't being made

Tim

The bulb appears ok, as Charlie mentions the blinkers do work, the green "B" does not flash as he's operating the left turn. This has happened to a few 2002's I've owned and it came down to the flasher relay. I went ahead and replaced the relay, at the time wasn't aware the rear cover came off and contacts were visible/repairable. I'd still clean the grounds and check the bulb but the bulb seems ok., carry a set of 1157's as part of spares, the silver base Sylvania/Osrams

Tim

due to the little set of relay points inside the flasher unit--it's not the same set of points that operate the outside lights, and may need just a little tweak to make it function properly.

I did a column on how to fix this problem--presuming you've already checked lights, grounds and fuses--drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 10 years later...

I had a similar problem...the turn signals working but the dash turn-signal-indicator light not working.

I tested the bulb and it was in good condition.

I unplugged all the wires connected to the flasher and cleaned things up a bit.

I then 'fiddled' with the connections to the flasher,( slightly bending a particular spade), and that fixed things.

I'm assuming there was some bad connection in the flasher that I 'fixed' things by applying pressure to one of the connectors on the flasher.

I've heard this, and maybe you can tell me if it's true, that if you wire the font turn signals with the opposite polarity to which they are supposed to be wired, the signals on the outside of the car will function but you won't have a flashing dash indicator. I know, I know, a light bulb is just a resistor, and resistors don't have polarity, but maybe there's something else to this? I'm curious...

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz

67 912 Light Ivory