• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temporary protection products for bare metal?

Taymar

I know this sounds like a stupid question, bear with me.

I'm removing the tar from the floorpans (what a horrible job), and wire-wheeling away rust as I find it.

I want to protect the bare metal areas from rust until I can get the welding done, then get the whole floor epoxy primed.

So I need something which will provide decent enough protection (the car's garaged) but not be a nightmare to remove when the time comes for 'real' paint.

I'm not sure if I should be looking at rust treatment primers, paints, or skip the primers altogether and go with a rust converter.

What would you guys recommend? It'll probably be 4-6 months before the car gets primed, and it's garaged. I'm limited to rattle can or brush on products for now.

If you have really high humidity, I'd go shopping for cheap rattle can paint.

Spray some on a panel, let it cure well, then hit it with reducer or lacquer

thinner to see if it comes off cleanly.

Otherwise, even around here with moderately high humidity, 6 months or

a year is OK for bare metal IF it's in a decent garage, slightly heated.

That's what I'd do.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

ATF (Auto trans fluid), I covered my 32 roadster in it when I drove it bare metal for 2 years , comes off easy , no silicones to screw with you later , wipe it on , wipe it off simple., thinners to clean up before painting.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Thanks all, bit late to mention this I realize (it hadn't occurred to me until now), but the less strong smelling the better.

ATF sounds like it'd work nicely, I'm just hesitant that it'd stink up the whole garage. To be fair I've only had experience with Redline ATF, so it's possible that other brands don't smell as strongly?

Beggars can't be choosers though, I know...

The best stuff for preventing rust I have found is CRC SP-400. It dries to a dry, waxy film that will bead up rain for over a year and can be removed with paint thinner or any other solvent.

I think it's actually Cosmoline. It may be overkill for your job, but it really works.

WD-40 does a very poor job of rust prevention. I've seen parts sprayed with it rust in less than a week, without actually getting wet.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

...and WD-40 really should be called 'Fisheye 40' as it will

f**k your paint job into next week...

AFT would scare me just a bit, as it can creep into cracks....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I really like Picklex-20 for this situation. You wipe it on, and then wipe it dry. It's a rustconverter, but you don't have to rinse it off. I've welded and painted directly on Picklex-treated metal with no problems. I treated some sheet metal with it, and after two years of storage in the garage through snowy winters and humid summers there is still no rust.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT