winstontj

Brake Booster Delete (Mark are you still around??)

6 posts / 837 viewsLast Reply

So I have a pedal box that's been welded and ground in a couple of places (that I did a while ago) and I have a master cylinder that's BMW part 34-31-1-156-643

I don't remember a darn thing but I searched for Mark's old pics that were posted of his Schnitzer car with the manual brakes and/or brake booster delete and I couldn't find it.

So it seems that I've got the MC and have done some of the welding/grinding on the pedal box - does anyone have a link or ideas or step-by-step on the brake booster delete process??

(yes I'd really like to delete the brake booster)

Thanks!

I'll snap a few pictures of what I've got and post them up

Search for Lee Vuong's posts or see his "Massive Brakes" website. Not sure if he has the weld-plate listed there or not. My '69 has the master bolted directly to the pedal box, but it is a single circuit which I am not thrilled about. I am not sure a standard BMW master will fit due to clearance issues with the pitman arm. I met one person at Ofest this year that fit 2 small Tilton masters side by side with a balance bar for a dual circuit. The balance bar was not really functional, just there to apply pressure to 2 cylinders instead of 1. I did the booster delete on my track car using the Tilton overhung dual pedal setup with remote balance adjuster. I really like the positive feel, it is like having my toes right on the rotor, much better sensitivity to threshold than a boosted system.

--Fred '74tii & '69GT3

Thanks

I have 3-4 pedal boxes so I can do whatever is best. I'd like a dual-circuit since I'll be running rear discs but I just simply forget how it's done. I don't need to be period correct since the car isn't perfect and the chassis will get seam welding and a bunch of mods as well as the engine is going to be unique.

I'll take a look at Lee's site and stuff. It'll all come back to me. For some reason I think this is an e28 master cylinder - but i don't even remember the piston diameter, etc.

Maybe when I get closer to having a car I'll just talk to Lee.

I developed a piston sizing spreadsheet for dual-master systems (static bias only). Shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Fred

I developed a piston sizing spreadsheet for dual-master systems (static bias only). Shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Fred

Are you Asian Fred that I used to get beers with a few times a month when I was down in Reston, VA area for work?? If so you have my email, if not sorry if I offended with the Asian comment and I'll shoot you an email.

no offense taken--but that's not me. Drop me a note! --Fred