Sign in to follow this  
winstontj

Curt Ingraham Radiator

6 posts / 892 viewsLast Reply

I've got a radiator that's been sitting empty/dry for about 6 years in a non-climate controlled storage unit.

I'm able to figure out how to re-paint/spray the outside with black paint but not sure what to do on the inside.

The radiator is perfect on the outside, no bent fins, no dings, etc. Wondering if there is anything I should do to the inside - should I flush it with something/anything? I'm sure there must be some oxidation after this many years... Just not sure what to do.

The only oxidation brass and copper has is patina. No need for any treatment from that standpoint. But any other foreign deposits are up to you.

heh, I assumed there would be some slick trick like cleaning out a coffee maker every few months with vinegar.

I guess I'll just let it be. It was used on a rebuilt M10 and was never run for even more than a year or two so I'm not worried about gunk in there outside the oxidation. I know when I ended up tearing apart that last 2002 I flushed the system with fresh (garden hose) water so that's why I'm wondering. In hind sight I wish I had flushed it with diesel fuel or something just to avoid the internal oxidation.

Maybe spiders but no critters. I've got tons of moth balls and other stuff in the storage unit because there are a bunch of clothes in there too. If I were a critter I think a nice down jacket would be much more appealing than a radiator :)

Maybe spiders but no critters. I've got tons of moth balls and other stuff in the storage unit because there are a bunch of clothes in there too. If I were a critter I think a nice down jacket would be much more appealing than a radiator :)

I have a tii engine that was stuffed full of birdseed so the crank would only turn 180 degrees. The fuel lines on my father's F150 pickup were chewed thru by squirrels. Don't underestimate the little creatures roaming this planet.