Lowcountry2002

blinker question...

9 posts / 799 viewsLast Reply

1972 2002

My blinkers aren't working...

1) I've checked all the fuses under the hood -- all seem to be good.

2) I fixed the hazard button that was not staying down--thanks for the help with that!

Nothing happen at all when I try left or right side blinkers.

With the hazard button up/out the right-side(front and rear) stays solid.

Could it be the relay? If so, where is the relay located?

Thank you!

same relay, located under the dash just above the hood release handle. There are two there, the other is the wash/wipe relay and it's marked "Wisch-Wash"

If your 4 way flashers (and the dash light) are working then the relay is OK; you've checked the fuses (pulled 'em, inspected 'em and cleaned the contacts) so the fuse is OK, so it's time to suspect the turn signal switch itself. On roundies, it's on the right side of the column; you'll have to remove the column housing trim to remove the switch to check for continuity/damage etc. But that's the next thing I would check.

mike

As Mike mentioned, if you have done the other simple checks, then remove the steering wheel, column covers and then the right-hand TS/wiper switch for examination. Two Phillips-head screws secure the switch to the square column plate. Make note of where the switch is mounted because there are (2) slotted holes for adjusting the TS cancellation tab.

A large Molex brand female connector snaps into the male socket under the dash. There might be (1) or (2) additional wires that need disconnecting (label before removing anything).

You might have a wire that is frayed or broken from the switch. With a solder gun and silver solder, a repair can be simple.

pics11709014.jpg

Picture shows switch in left turn position.

pics11709020.jpg

Connectors

pics11709013.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Dont go to deep till u make sure the basics are true, bulbs and grounds 9/10, check your fronts for tight right and clean mounting screws for turns, give ya all kinds of fits if not right, proper bulbs and clean connections will take you away from the relay gobblygook Dave

I have got a similar problem except the blinkers will only work with the hazzard button pressed in. Hazzards of course aren't working when the button is pressed, but at least I have use of the turn signals then.

I have tried switching out the hazzard button already but that didn't help and the problem persisted.

Anyone have ideas?

Thx

Alright guys, thanks for all the help with this. Apparently, it was the relay. I went out and got one of those cheap three-way ones and rigged it up just to check...Works great...both blinkers and the hazards work great!

But now, fuse #12 blows every time I try to turn on the windshield wipers.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Just out of curiosity. Which type of three way relay you purchased. Can you send us a picture. Would like to try this one as well. Replaced the $80 BMW relay and still have the "B" light blink once.

Thanks