Stu

How to install a tii clock

11 posts / 3153 viewsLast Reply

I bought a tii clock, and want to install it in my '76 in the center console, beneath the radio, where you might install gauges. Has anyone done this before? Would I need the original wiring harness and bulb, or can one be made?

The clock appears to be new or very lightly used.

004_zpsa2a9abf8.jpg

003_zps442d3869.jpg

002_zps68e55f29.jpg

i've put several in consoles...it's easy to wire, a hot lead and ground...if you can find a small led to fit in the tube, just wire it with the dash light dimmer switch..if bulb doesn't fit snugly just tape it so it doesn't slide out

radio shack has all size and color led's that will work

on the clock the brass insulated blade is power, the other is ground

Thanks Esty. What kind of bracket did you use or make to hold it in place?

Thanks Esty. What kind of bracket did you use or make to hold it in place?

i've never used anything to hold the clocks in the console face...iirc, they require a 2 1/8 inch hole and if you turn/wrap the console vinyl in the hole friction will hold it very well

That's a handsome clock, but doesn't look to be a true tii version. Maybe MB? Perfect for a console install.

Best,

N

Thats not a tii clock , maybe a later 5 series, tii has no tabs on the sides.Also tii has a wire coming out the rear of the gauge with a 3 point female connector which plugs into the rear of your dash .Behind the dash is a black rubber plug/cover covering the connections.

mitch...that's a nice looking clock and one i'd use in a console face....and the price seems great

The tii clock goes to the right of the instrument cluster in sort of a tube plastic bracket thing that extends it out a little bit (you could easily make one out of ABS pipe or something similar). There's a hole already made for it in the dash, it's just covered with vinyl.

If you're putting it in the console, you should get an aftermarket VDO clock which will come with little thumb screw holder things (like how they attach the aux gauges in a Rabbit cabrio). What you have there is an early E12 clock, if you want to use that you'll need to make something to hold it in.

I think it would be way cooler to get those A-pillar mounted gauge pods people use for boost gauges, etc. and put clocks in them ; )

thanks esty! i'm not a big fan of the red hands with the clock but otherwise i thought it might look decent in the console.

cheers,

mitch