rlgMcoupe

What is the trick to getting this fastener on?

8 posts / 714 viewsLast Reply

Who has mastered connecting this piece to get the headlights flush? I need some tips please. I am sick of mine sticking out from the body and leaving a gap there.

post-4548-13667666618713_thumb.png

Tape the threaded side in place and push it through. The plastic nut fits perfectly into a 12-point 19mm socket. I gingerly used a ratchet.

If you have all the correct parts its easy... But you have to take the grill off to do it,

1. Make sure your grille isn't bent slightly

2. Make sure the four screws that hold the grille in place are firmly fastened.

3. Make sure the headlight surround part of the grille isn't hitting part of the headlight assembly, thus preventing the grille from seating properly.

4. Have someone push on the outside of the grille to get it flush while you run up the thumbscrew.

FYI, roundie grilles never did fit exactly perfectly--there always seems to be a little gap--that will be exacerbated if the car has had even a minor tap in front.

One more trick: put electrical tape on the back side of the grille where it contacts the paint so the grill won't wear the paint away and cause rust/chipping.

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

Start with the knurled nut threaded on the bent bolt, but don't connect the bolt to the grill initially. Then using the nut as a handle maneuver the bolt hook into the hole in the grille. Then pull towards the back of the car as you turn the nut, which will keep the bolt hooked in the grill as it tightens.

Installed the grill on my 75 recently, almost have the restoration finished, those j bolts were missing for the grill ends so in their place I used nylon zip ties :) You can pull the grill in to match the body and clip off the extra , if you need to remove the grill just cut the tie to remove it worked great and simpler and cheaper than finding the j bolts.

Harry

post-4548-13667666619241_thumb.jpg

post-4548-13667666619963_thumb.jpg

Tape??? Zip ties??? The plastic grommet on the back of the grill will hold the J-hook in place as the grill is positioned for installation. And as Mike suggested, pushing in at the corner while fastening the nut helps.

I use zip ties, too- they never fall off, they never loosen, and it's easy to

get enough tension without damaging something.

Because racecar.

t