Gbare02tii

67 1600 lost in the desert, parked since 73 (pics)

35 posts / 4938 viewsLast Reply

So, How does a Guy from Florida have pics of a 1600 in the desert?

He has good friends! My friend was driving home from the SEMA show and was detoured off the highway do to a bad crash..While traveling the back roads he saw this way out in a "field" so he stopped to have a look and snap some pics. The owner came out to him and told him it had been there since 1973 and said he was not sure he wanted to sell it. We will be contacting him in the near future to see if he will let it go to a good home.

I ran the VIN and it came back as June 67 Turf Green 1600 delivered to Ny,NY.

pb031343.jpg

VIN 1530040

pb031341.jpg

pb031340i.jpg

looks like it is all there

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

pb031344.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Somebody save it!!! Worries me that the breather hose is off of the valve cover and the pre-heater box thing is missing, seems like that would mean there's sand in there- a motor's worst enemy.

Really cool find. Isn't that a rare color? Did the owner say why it was parked?

a fairly rare color...

It's a six volt car (note the 6V regulator); can't tell if it has the embossed front hood trim...

mike

This is like an archeology find in the desert. Wonder who last parked it there (or pushed it to its resting place of 40 years). Looks there are no neighbors to complain about a project car parked in the driveway... hope you convince the owner to breathe life into her again.

I know where it is and we are working on getting it to Florida.. It may be some time next year..My friend works for Alex Job Racing and will be heading to west coast for racing... I am hoping that he will have room on his Race car tranport to bring it back. We have no Idea why it was parked so many years ago..The Plate on the front has Arizona with the year marker of "73".

The rare hood trim is missing and two grills :(

pb031339.jpg

The guy in the pic owns the 1600

pb031342.jpg

That is a thing of absolute BEAUTY!

Please tell me the owner isn't one of those ass-hats that "has plans for it, even though it's been parked for decades" types. Those people make my goddamned blood BOIL!

There's a golf tii 6 miles from me that's "not for sale", even though it has 3ft tall weeds growing around it. Apparently the owner needs the cash (he finally said he'd consider selling it for $2600 when we talked). He's an international architect with buildings in Dubai, and across Europe to his credit. I would like to curse him with a lifetime of diarrhea and a zipper welded shut. Self important jerk.

Turf? Love it! Wouldn't repaint it though! ;-)

I want to make it run and stop, make sure everything works to be road worthy, lower it and drive it! Maybe even put a coat of "flat clear" to protect it from Florida rain and humidity. Looks like I will need grills and bumper parts for cosmetics. Who knows what the motor and brakes will need? I would never part it out, I would only sell it to sombody that wanted to save it. BTW: The owner didn't say he wanted to sit on the car, I think he will let it go. He is in his late 70's..

i would be willing to go get that car off his sprawling estate,you make the deal....... I have a truck and if you pay for a trailer(uhaul) I would be willing to put it in my driveway untill you can get it with the race hauler.I have a feeling this car may have a strange/interesting story to tell.