ndog

wrong outfit to visit dealer shift(O.T)

13 posts / 960 viewsLast Reply

I did my oil change today, and realized I didnt have new plug washers so I went to the local dealership......arriaval...Oho I have my work clothes/oilchange gear on.I think I was perceived as BAGMAN who happened to know the PN.Needless to say I got 4 crushwashers rather QWIK

cappuccino no?

I refuse to go to my local BMW anymore. The parts people are rude and generally ignorant about the older cars, and seriously when I park my 02 under the awnings near the sales department the staff scowl at me. (I am a simple country girl so I usually have barn clothes on)

So yes I hear you!

They told me the trim pieces come with the mounting hardware pre-attached. Really? WTF

I try not to shave for a week before going in, and then, like you,

wear the orange convict overalls with the greasy front.

And have part numbers. Because they won't have it otherwise.

Quick service? You bet! And no hassle at all to buy a new F-10 or whatever the fudge they're called these days.

t

I like to say ..."I need a part for a 1969 BMW 2002 please" They act like I was speaking in some other language. One parts guy asked..Well, is it a 1969 or a 2002, don't you know what year your car is?"

I've had some rather short conversations at the parts counter when visiting my local BMW dealer. Ironically, the younger guys seem more helpful and the older guys more disdainful. I figure the younger guys automatically respect a car older than they are. To the older guys it's just an old car that is harder to look up parts for.

Yep, best bet is to show up with the part number.

I've also bought parts for our MINI Cooper there even though it is not a MINI dealer. They don't like it at all (not sure why) so I just remind them that the part also fits on various BMWs as there are lots of common parts.

I like to say ..."I need a part for a 1969 BMW 2002 please" They act like I was speaking in some other language. One parts guy asked..Well, is it a 1969 or a 2002, don't you know what year your car is?"

HA HA how about bmw of NEWPORT bch telling me they didnt make a model called 1973 in the year 2002 wTf (another rather qwik visit for a radiator cap, luckly I had p/n

Went into my local Stealership a couple of months ago for a temp sending unit. I'm thinking $10, maybe $20 tops. After spending almost 30 minutes on the computer, the guy at the desk finally tells me the best he can do is one from a 320 and it will cost $169! I ended up getting one on eBay for $9. I think there are a lot of women out there driving BMW's who take their cars to the the dealer when the gas cap is loose and they tell them it will be $2,200 to fix and they say "Okay" and whip out the credit card.

Guest Anonymous

Woa Woa Woa, heres the flip, checked on original eqwipment belt line full set a while back and the dealer was 200 bones cheaper than bavauto, and when I wanted an original BMW ig key they had it at a very fair price, guys and gals get over your hunky dory attitudes and realize these folks have stuff we cant get any where else and choose wisely, buy it right or buy it twice is what we like to say down at the ranch Dave Miller

I usually buy from Blunt but on occasion, I buy from my local dealer (Classic in Willoughby OH). They treat me well and work with me. I do however have one guy that I deal with exclusively and he knows other friends I have so that helps i think.

John

One parts guy asked..Well, is it a 1969 or a 2002, don't you know what year your car is?"

...and I responded, 'you know, that's what the kid at Schucks asked, too' and

then read off the part number...

Our local dealers aren't so bad, actually- it's all the luck of the draw as to

who you get and when they last had coffee...

t

dont get me wrong,I like going to a dealership for basic parts washers,rad cap etc....I just think(some) of the parts people should be forced to watch a "HISTORY of BMW", video on a loop in the waiting area.