tsteph12

Opinion Please Regarding Rocker Rust...

21 posts / 1630 viewsLast Reply

Question for those with more bodywork insight than myself. Please take a look at this picture posted of an 02 seller sent to me of what I am told, is only rust on car. Small blister seen over rocker, but also appears to have some behind showing at edges of panel gaps. What do you think a body shop might charge to repair, then paint properly? Vehicle is about 3 hrs drive from my home. Other pictures sent previously by owner show an otherwise very clean 02. Thank you.

T.R.

post-1513-13667666607587_thumb.jpg

drive the 3 hrs before you buy. Never buy site unseen. no rust to the guy that sells, might be an issue to the guy that ends up repairing no rust.

Fred

drive the 3 hrs before you buy. Never buy site unseen. no rust to the guy that sells, might be an issue to the guy that ends up repairing no rust.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I would not actually buy without seeing first, but just wanted to get a rough idea of what someone more expert thought it might cost address region of rust in picture.

T.R.

check all the seems in the hood and trunk. You only see half the rust at best!

My new rust tool is a USB camera that you can get on ebay with built in LED lights...they are long and let you peek into spots you cannot look into. I highly recommend it!

poke it in the hole on the frame under the carpet inside the car and look at that rust from the inside.

My car is rusty from sitting somewhere damp. I have surface rust everywhere but no road salt rust. Two different animals and both a pain to deal with.

The spot shown doesn't look that bad from the outside. Doesn't look bad enough that there would be significant rust behind that spot.

Without seeing more pix it's hard to say for sure but if it was just the outer skin rust repair and spot paint in that one area, it could be done in a day. The problem is the body schutz wouldn't match and the repair would have a different texture. Being on the lower rocker it's not such a big deal though. Cost would probably be a couple hundred bux.

$1,000.00 +/- per side - labor is expensive.

Any rust restoration (not repair) is not as

cut and dry as labor to replace 4-spark

plugs. It's a gray area untill all the

rusted metal has been exposed.

I drove that car today. I'm no expert. Paint is nice d driver quality. New spare well welded in yesterday. No other obvious bad rust. Some bubbles on driver door. Seals worn on many areas. Sunroof, yes. Headliner trash. D seat needs stuffing. Orig engine blown. Replacement inst. By LJ Independent according to seller. Runs nice. Drives nice. Shifts like a 40 yr old car, but no grinding.

That's a hole in the outer fender. The unknown is the shape of the rocker

that dives under the fender. On a sunroof car, that's pretty darned normal.

Especially if it was parked under a coniferous evergreen (pine tree).

So, really, no idea. It's PROBABLY not so bad. But then, if the spare tire well

has been replaced, that's not a good sign- the well's not the weak spot on these

cars. The spot welds on the rear shock towers would be worth looking at...

For $1500, well worth a look. At $5k, meh, I'd keep looking.

what're they asking?

t

8500?! That's ridiculous. Show them the fair market value of a 2002 with rust, and all the problems you mentioned, alongside the original engine missing. I'd give $1000-1500 tops for this car, 1500 is stretching it a bit.

Seller is either misinformed, or insane.

I drove that car today. I'm no expert. Paint is nice d driver quality. New spare well welded in yesterday. No other obvious bad rust. Some bubbles on driver door. Seals worn on many areas. Sunroof, yes. Headliner trash. D seat needs stuffing. Orig engine blown. Replacement inst. By LJ Independent according to seller. Runs nice. Drives nice. Shifts like a 40 yr old car, but no grinding.

Thank you for the input. Sounds like the car has more issues than seller originally disclosed. I had contacted him about a 1600 his wife considered selling, but was informed she changed her mind. Bill mentioned he had a "nicer" 2002 for sale and forwarded me this link from his site.

http://www.oldtownclassics.com/gallery/v/current/2002BMW+Tan/

T.R.