PaulTWinterton

Oversize Guibo.

18 posts / 1699 viewsLast Reply

I’m re-assembling my 4speed after a rebuild and I notice that the quibo seems too large. The bolts don’t center easily, and it’s a REAL challenge to align ALL.

This quibo has been in the car for at least 15 years. Could it have stretched or is it the wrong one? See sketch below.

Markings:

SHORE , 75 , 143 , 15.5 , GOETZE , 38.0512

Scratching my head. Knowledge or opinions please.

Thanks for reading and replying.

Paul

155hopd.jpg

is that an old guibo? new guibo's have a metal band around them to compress them down so they fit. after installation, you remove the band.

good luck getting a 4 bolt guibo back on if the band has been removed! you could try compressing with a large hose clamp maybe...

New guibos are compressed with a metal band. It sounds as though you're trying to reuse your old guibo. If you have access to a banding tool or hose clamps try to compress it.

Reinstalling a used guibo is easy. No hose clamp contraption required. I gently pry against the side of the guibo with the shaft of a screwdriver, while the blade end rests against something solid and not brittle, under the car. Slide one bolt in at a time and its a cinch.

If they get exposed to mass quantities of leaking trans fluid, they will REALLY swell up and should be thrown away, but a dry, crack free guibo can be installed without too much effort. Don't be skeered.

I always put a big hose clamp around them before removing-

makes it a lot easier to get 'em off, and there's less chance

of scoring up the bolts or gouging the flanges...

t

"metal band?!"

I'd have never heard of the that before. Many years ago I bought the guibo from a parts place and there was no band. I remember fighting with it. LOL

I may follow the instructions to re-use, as it's still supple and clean.

OR, I may buy a correct replacement, so there is no question of age or alignment.

Thanks for the revelation.

Guest Anonymous

and many years ago I bought a guibo with a band around it and didn't know to remove the band before driving. Ah, sweet memories!

C. D. has given you the best advice, REPLACE that BURNT TOAST. I had a bad experience a short distance from the entrance to one of our tunnels here in Mobile, my guibo went out on my '80 Euro 323 and there was NO place to pull over with a long line of traffic behind me. I slowed down and prayed all the way through the tunnel with noises coming from under my car tearing up God knows what. The story did have a good ending, It ruined three of the bolt holes which I had a friend weld up and redrill. This cost me a lunch and I purchased a new guibo. All new 4 bolt guibos do have a metal band that you remove after installation. I do like the long hose clamp to install a used guibo just do not use an old one.

Reinstalling a used guibo is easy. No hose clamp contraption required. I gently pry against the side of the guibo with the shaft of a screwdriver, while the blade end rests against something solid and not brittle, under the car. Slide one bolt in at a time and its a cinch.

If they get exposed to mass quantities of leaking trans fluid, they will REALLY swell up and should be thrown away, but a dry, crack free guibo can be installed without too much effort. Don't be skeered.

Exactly how I have done it for years....easy peezy.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

c.d....after your comment, I DEFINITELY won't re-use my old guibo. I thought they had to be visually suspect, but this one does seem a bit hard and unflexable. Whooosh.... that's the sound of me throwing it in the garbage.

Sidebar...my wife is picking up a 2013 Fiat500c today. I tried to talk her into the ABARTH, but she'd rather have a cabrio than a hotrod.

Cheers to all for your input.

Ping!.......

The sounds of the metal band hitting the underside of the car after I forgot to take it off one time :)

Fred

2012-Fiat-500-Abarth-red-color-side-view-in-motion.jpg

.... new lock nuts and proper shouldered high strength bolts,

LocTite if your reusing old bolts and nuts,

read one of many guibo threads for small tips that

will result in a smooth vibrationless ride,

prevent premature new-guibo failure,

and may save you re-doing the job

IMG_3150.jpg

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,316646/sid,bf496978270dfee07887639562f6ad05/