willie002

Temperature Gauge Reading

6 posts / 675 viewsLast Reply

The temperature gauge reads between the ¼ and ½ way mark in the winter. As a note in the summer it reads just above 1/2 way on the gauge. This seems a little low to me but I do get enough heat out of the heater to keep the car warm. I’ve just been thinking through this and wondering if I could have a stuck thermostat, inaccurate sending unit or something wrong with the gauge itself. The coolant is only about 6 months old also. Should I be spending time looking for something or am I just worried about nothing?

sounds about right to me. Mine is around there on open roads, a little higher if i'm doing 75mph on the highway or stuck in nyc traffic. Thats with the heater core open, btw.

Know what thermostat is in the car first. The 80C stat is best for a general use. It should not run too hot in summer based on you summer description of the temp gauge. Just a reminder, the radiator cools he car not the thermostat.

as additional information: BMW (and other manufacturers) sold masks to put on the grille for winter. This reduced the cold air flow through the radiator to bring the engine temperature up.

Ahhh, fond memories.

Grew up in the Canadian prairies. Driving 6 months of the year in deepfreeze. The trick was to put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad, with a hole cut out for (some) air to reach rad. Works like a charm at no cost, but like any bandaid, beware. Had to be careful not to overheat engine.

Not that any of us would submit our 02s to that kind of weather. RIGHT?