JLENHAM

No Tach above 2K ***solved***

4 posts / 582 viewsLast Reply

Hey Friends,

Did a quick search but could not quite pin down the exact issue. This weekend I pulled out the gauge pod to chase down an annoying buzz. Upon reassembly I think I incorrectly wired the tach. I always forget that you don't have to unplug the short harness that runs from the three prong connector...I got the wiring complete and the speedo hooked up but got pulled away from finishing the job. The next day I finished the work, the car required a jump to start, but since I had the door open and interior light on...I figured that was the cause of the battery drain. Otherwise, everything seemed to check out. However, today the car required a jump and upon driving the tack works up to 2000 RPM then cuts out.

I think that my wiring error created an open circuit that is draining the battery with the ignition off. All other functions, lights etc. seemed fine on my 40 minute commute. I removed the #11 fuse once at the office in hopes that would cut the drain.

I will pull the gauges again tonight and investigate. Does this diagnosis sound right?

Oh, I did fix the buzz, of course it will probably return with once I fix the tack and reassemble...

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

You can use an ammeter to trace down the wires that are shorting out or take out the gauge cluster again and examine each wire to see where they are defective. If you don't have an ammeter and want to be sure there is a short causing a drain, disconnect the neg. wire from the battery when you park. If the car starts ok when the wire is reconnected, you have confirmed your guess.

Thanks, the other thing I did....I remember now...is to move the added ground wire from a lug behind the fuel/temp/warning lights to one of the screws that holds the speedometer in place, this is metal and connects with the backing plate to the odometer, also metal...

I will switch that back too.

Just thought I would complete the circle on this issue. In fact, I had reversed the green/black wires on the back of the tachometer. For future reference, this will provide a very fast battery drain, little or no battery charging and no tach above 2000 RPM.

Thankfully, no smoke or fire, or apparently any melted circuits or busted diodes.

I remember forgetting this lesson before, don't assume, take your time, double check, search the FAQ etc...

Back up and running today, still in daily driver mode until winter weather arrives.