Ray_73Turkis_OH

Brake fluid reservoir cap rebuild?

11 posts / 2689 viewsLast Reply

My brake fluid is full and the light keeps flickering. This has never been a problem before the reservoir was dry for 8 weeks while the rear end was out.

Here is what I have done so far.

I jiggled the wires pushed in and out and in. and turned them this way and that.

Cleaned the brass contacts and made sure the filter/float was straight and the cap/brass plunger/contact was straight.

Has anyone ever taken the brake reservoir cap apart to check/clean the contacts?

How do the wires come out of the cap? Do I just pull them?

Can I just just pry the blue circle (center of cap with wires and air vent) up with a thin blade? Will it pop off?

Borrowed a picture from Mike Pugh below so you can see the blue circle.

Thanks!!

post-267-13667666514686_thumb.jpg

Are you sure it is the brake fluid level causing the flickering?

The light is also operated by the handbrake and (if you have one) the choke switch.

my blue cap was missing when i purchased the 1976 and the prior owner had a black circle of tape covering the light on the dash, I purchased a bottle with a cap and pried off the blue cap and all is better easy to to and light will go out make sure wire connectors are on and clean too

Guest Anonymous

Don't know about 73s, but on the earlier 2002s if the fluid reservoir is too full the red light comes on.

my blue cap was missing when i purchased the 1976 and the prior owner had a black circle of tape covering the light on the dash, I purchased a bottle with a cap and pried off the blue cap and all is better easy to to and light will go out make sure wire connectors are on and clean too

On mine the plunger was sticking and I used brake cleaner along with pushing it in and out to free it up. Never did try removing the blue cover.

Bill's comment that red light went on on early 2002's when reservoir overfilled does not make sense. When there is enough brake fluid the contact on the float is pushed up and the light does not come on. If fluid too low, which is when you want a warning, float drops, contacts touch, ground is made and warning light comes on.

Fred

Guest Anonymous

It may not make sense, but it happened - I filled the reservoir to the brim with the top on and the light was on. Took out 1/2 inch and all was good. Could the fluid have closed the switch? Never mind. I'm just saying it can happen.

Perhaps there are contacts on the top as well as the bottom, so it would ground either low or high. Would be easy to check--just has not seen this before. --Fred

did you check the wiring its self with a multimeter?

maybe you just have a bad ground or a loose wire.