• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 2002 Track Car Project

VMSETHAN

Yes, the red is fuel line. AN6 line and fittings. Wraped the section near exhaust with an insulated silicone fire sleeve. You can just see that as it tucks underneath the firewall.

A propotioning valve for the rear circuit is mounted just in front the the brake MC, bolted to inner fender panel. Silver with black knob, purchased from Summit.

THX

76 2002 - TRACK CAR PROJECT

05 MINI COOPER S - DAILY DRIVER

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

67 MUSTANG- MUSCLE CAR ALTER EGO

02 F250

Great craftsmanship! I look at your work and find myself laughing at my attempts to cut aluminum for my console rebuild. Flat plates with a couple of holes. I have more cuts on my body than the metal. The guys at the hangar are slowly losing their jobs (Part 135 on demand freight) so I try not to impose.

Glad to see the "digress" to aircraft. Did some grunt work on the B-17G, 909. Great aircraft to fly. The top turret was completely fabbed by hand.

I like the front lip spoiler you created. Very clean and well thought out. The strut braces are a good idea. I have yet to install those on mine but have seen no signs of fatigue at this point.

Your car looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

With the engine in place I am able to locate the oil cooler and get it plumbed. Decided the only good way to get airflow was to cut a second nostril into the LH carbon panel.

I built a small sheetmetal duct/baffle to keep the airflow on target. Luckily i have a good selection of AN hose fittings, so just had to buy some hose. went with AN-10, braided stainless with teflon tube. Jegs sells it as air condioning line, so price was pretty good.

DSCN8318_zps255ee076.jpg

DSCN8315_zps8fb11e59.jpg

DSCN8322_zps589dac71.jpg

DSCN8323_zps94e2fe30.jpg

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

02 F250

• 4 weeks later...

More progress during a busy summer. Engine assy and wiring/plumbing is moving along. I need to pony up a buy a radiator. Either the IE or Kormann. Bought the IE silicone hoses and spliced 2 together since I do not have a heater core. Also got my Weber 38 bolted on. Need to get the linkage and fuel line finalized.

DSCN8343_zps5ae709cb.jpg

decided against the Painless wiring system. I decided it was not value added as I only have 8-10 circuits and all are very basic. Purchased a generic fuse block with grounds and mounted under the dash. Started to run wires. My guages arrived also. Running Auto Meter for the std 4 info guages, but VERY happy with my Speedhut GPS speedo and Tach.

DSCN8334_zps77bc6aa0.jpg

DSCN8332_zps6c4bbc10.jpg

DSCN8336_zps0a6b6dcc.jpg

DSCN8344_zps2013e844.jpg

DSCN8356_zpscae64df6.jpg

Edited by VMSETHAN

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

02 F250

With the engine in place I am able to locate the oil cooler and get it plumbed. Decided the only good way to get airflow was to cut a second nostril into the LH carbon panel.

I built a small sheetmetal duct/baffle to keep the airflow on target. Luckily i have a good selection of AN hose fittings, so just had to buy some hose. went with AN-10, braided stainless with teflon tube. Jegs sells it as air condioning line, so price was pretty good.

DSCN8318_zps255ee076.jpg

DSCN8315_zps8fb11e59.jpg

DSCN8322_zps589dac71.jpg

DSCN8323_zps94e2fe30.jpg

Sorry, I think it's better You twist up side down the oilcooler

• 1 month later...

Time to update...

Planning to order the IE Stage 2 header in a few days. I fabbed a heat shield from some scrap titanium sheet to protect my new wires. A little final trim when header goes on, but looks good.

DSCN8399_zpsd2043d41.jpg

DSCN8397_zpsa1c5efdb.jpg

My Weber 38 came in. The stock pedal linkage did not please me so decided to upgrade that. I purchased a metric threaded rod end for the vetical pedal link. The firewall mount does not line up well with the carb pivot, so I want a joint to allow for engine movement. I  had an old Cessna control yoke u-joint that was sized aout right. A little trimming to meet the needs, but otherwise pretty simple. 

DSCN8421_zps14f7f630.jpg

DSCN8422_zpsbedd80d6.jpg

This was a little small for my liking to weld with my MIG machine at home. Took it to work for our welder to TIG. A very nice job as usual. Just need to fab the little tab to attach the rod end and a secondary return spring.

DSCN8425_zps3c108646.jpg

DSCN8424_zps184c4c26.jpg

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

02 F250

Nice work.

The firewall mount does not line up well with the carb pivot, so I want a joint to allow for engine movement.

BMW's solution handled the engine movement issue quite well (one version of the firewall mount had a pivoting 'ball'). Then again, with stiffer engine mounts, the engine barely moves. -KB

Always wondered what to do with all the scrap titanium and plane parts laying around :)

Actually I do have trunk floor made of airplane floor panel. That kevlar honeycomb board weighs nothing!

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

Chipping away on more items....

Carb linkage is done and final mounted.

IMG_0419_zpsc1fc83cc.jpg

My header came in and is temporarily in place for fitiing exhaust. I did not like the OEM hangar at back of the tranny, so I made a new one.

IMG_0422_zps16119b32.jpg

IMG_0426_zps5036d9a8.jpg

I got a free wheel from local tire shop to do some back space measurements. Need to deicde the whole tire wheel thing soon. Have been running Dunlop Direzza Sport Star Specs on the Mustang and like them a lot.

IMG_0416_zps18ca1672.jpg

Rather than run a PCV valve into the intake I fabbed a vent breather. Many opinions out there about "dirty" air into the intake vs. the benefit of venting the engine internals. For now this is fine. If someone can convince me of PCV benefits it can be changed over to a valve.

Had to make a custom tube for the install due to hose sizes and space limitations.

IMG_0409_zps8a26ac56.jpg

IMG_0412_zpse44172e9.jpg

Again had our welder at work do these due to aluminum material and delicacy. To form a bead at each end I used one of our cool tools to accomplish. The kit costs close to $900, so this one one item I will borrow over and over.

IMG_0428_zpsaac85084.jpg

IMG_0429_zps43d7a3bb.jpg

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

02 F250

I am really watching this go together.  Like your exhaust support hanger too.

One note of caution, the M10 has a rather high head oil pressure and the oil coming out of the breather will be enough to make a mess on your beautiful engine. I'd highly suggest using at least a vented catch can. If you look at just about any race M10 engine you'll notice quite a bit of venting on top.

Guys, thx for the info on the catch can. Was not aware that much oil would be coming out. I'll get someting sorterd out and update.

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

02 F250

• 3 weeks later...

OK, got a catch can sorted out. I think this will work well. The line is soft aluminum so it should take some engine vibe/movement without difficulty. Will leave the orange adell clamp on the large size to allow for some movement. 

DSCN8433_zps88da6911.jpg

DSCN8435_zps80609937.jpg

DSCN8432_zps70b45541.jpg

It is all "downhill" and I was able to run a drain line to empty convenienty when needed. Can has a decent shutoff valve on the bottom, but I plugged the hose anyways to be safe as it is just fwd of the front tire. May do something a little more secure.

DSCN8434_zps2a1347f5.jpg

Edited by VMSETHAN

05 BMW X5 - WIFE'S RIDE

02 F250