tomscat1

OT: Stalking the Wild Baur in the Bush

11 posts / 1038 viewsLast Reply

OK, folks.... at long last, after some interruptions/delays due to work issues and a Hurricane.... here it is:

TomD's Adventure with the Baur in the Bush!

This is a story for those readers who have an interest in stories of .... following a thin thread of clues in search of an elusive and rare car (in this case a Baur) that was spotted in a nearly anonymous photograph, and then in a satellite shot! Yeah, you read that right..... a Baur spotted from space!!! :)

A fun story!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/201...sh-update.html

Thank you, TomD!

Be sure to check out this thread posted tonight by TomD! Best wishes, TomD! TomD is a friend who, just tonight, coincidentally posted some great news about his battle with cancer, adding a poignant touch to all of the above. Here is his post, titled.... "OT: a visit with my doctor." Worth reading.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1916117

post-22228-13667666391588_thumb.jpeg

Is this about one 1 car ? The car in the pic ?

There is a guy or gal who lives up the street from me and to the best of my knowledge has a baur maybe even two. Ima take a drive there and take a gander. They look like theyve been sitting for years.

There is a guy or gal who lives up the street from me and to the best of my knowledge has a baur maybe even two. Ima take a drive there and take a gander. They look like theyve been sitting for years.

My blog, Baurspotting, is dedicated to finding ALL the BMW Baurs in the US. We started out searching for the E21s, which is what the car above is, but we have since expanded the scope of the blog to include any and all US Baurs: E21 TC1s, E30 TC2s, 1600 and 2002 Cabrios, and 2002 Targas. We have also found some 502 Cabrios (Lothar Schuettler's beautiful 502 , for one) and several BMW 700 Cabrios. They are ALL Baurs, and we are seeking them all!

Even the M1 is a Baur, btw.

I am researching and stockpiling stories from Baur owners around the country, and will be publishing them ALL as time allows (and owners give permission).

So stay tuned! Lots of fun, amazing stories!

Baurspotting couldn't do this work without the help of the many Baurspotters and Baurhunters out there, like TomD in this example. The Baur in the Bush story above is just one of many adventures growing out of this endeavor, but TomD certainly went above and beyond to track this one down. Imagine that: tracking down a car from a satellite photo! Who da thought!!! This is CIA stuff!

Anyway, I would be very appreciative of any information that you can find on those Baurs in your area. And so would the readers of Baurspotting, who, btw, are now located in over 110 countries around the world!! Believe me, NO one is more amazed by that fact than me! :) I hope you can locate those Baurs and I look forward to hearing from you!

Incidentally, just as an aside.... I have just gained clearance from you-know-who, so I will be picking up my very own 1973 2002 roundie in about a week! It is a project, naturally, but one I am greatly looking forward to. More on that later.

Tom

FYI, the link to bimmerforums is not working.

Thanks for the heads up. I just updated it so it should work now.

Here is a screen shot of ggogle maps. I dont know how long ago this was. But i cruised by on Sat morning and all three cars seem to be in non running order in the driveway, or at least just sitting. 2 of them are baurs for sure the third one was covered.

post-22228-13667666509074_thumb.jpg

Here is a screen shot of ggogle maps. I dont know how long ago this was. But i cruised by on Sat morning and all three cars seem to be in non running order in the driveway, or at least just sitting. 2 of them are baurs for sure the third one was covered.

Thank you for posting that! A Google street view with Baurs in the picture! I found Chris I's 2002 Baur targa parked on a street in Philly that way last year. I love that stuff! ;)

I have posted this to my blog, and I would greatly appreciate any other info you can find on them, e.g., the street address. If you do not wish to post the address here, please email it to me:

[email protected]

These Baurs may qualify as New Finds, btw, since I do not recognize them..... and those wheels on the white Baur are .... er ... hard to miss.

We have a bunch of Baur owners in the greater LA area.... and someone may be able to contact the owner and invite him to join us.

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/11/baurs-spotted-in-san-gabriel-ca.html

Thanks again!

I think i may walk to his house, and politely ask him/her if they know the history on the cars and also if they would give me thier email in case they are interested in selling or possibly joining your forum.

I think i may walk to his house, and politely ask him/her if they know the history on the cars and also if they would give me thier email in case they are interested in selling or possibly joining your forum.

The Baur world would be in your debt for that! Thank you!

Please feel free to give the owner my email address, especially if he is hesitant to share his, and ask him to just Google "Baurspotting". Most Baur owners are excited to see an interest in their cars, and I am sure he will enjoy the blog.

We use pictures of the Baur plate number to positively identify each Baur, and to avoid duplication and confusion. Those look like TC2 Baurs, so the Baur plate is located in the front of the driver's door jamb, marked "Karosserie Baur" followed by a number beginning with the letter "B". See attached pic.

Thanks in advance!

You can also direct him to this post, which features his cars, thanks to you!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2012/11/baurs-spotted-in-san-gabriel-ca.html

post-22228-13667666534076_thumb.jpg

The following post appeared today in Facebook. The owner's name is Curtis W. I am wondering if this is the same fella that you spoke to. I have responded to him in FB, but he has not yet answered.

"And guys I have 3 baurs for sale E30 1985 2.7 6cyl and a 1979 E21 316 BAUR SUPER CLEAN HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 13 YEARS .1985 323 BAUR 6CYL 5 SPEED BLK / BLK IN CALIFORNIA ,Thanks"

It certainly sounds like it could be him.... I mean....how many guys have 2 or 3 Baurs in CA? :)

If so, we are all in your debt for reaching out to him.

I have posted his ad in the :Baurs For Sale" section of my blog.

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/p/baurs-for-sale.html

Stay tuned, I will post more as I know it.

post-22228-13667666920611_thumb.jpg