Hopkinskid

First post, first question, slightly embarrased

9 posts / 939 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

I just purchased a 1973 BMW 2002, and I'm super excited. But I have a really dumb question. The air filter assembly....is it supposed to be bolted onto the carb? Or does the hood, when closed, provide enough weight to keep the assembly over the carb? With the hood open, I can easily flip/lift the assembly away. There's no bolts or anything that attaches it securely to the carb. When I started up the car with the hood open, I can see the assembly shifting a bit, and then the whole engine shakes fairly violently.

I tried to search via this FAQ and also google, and there weren't any specifics that I could find. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

post-22935-1366766639071_thumb.jpg

There are two "outrigger" arms -- bolted to the intake manifold -- that hold the air filter assembly to the engine. Your photo clearly shows the passenger-side arm with two nuts securing the air filter housing via rubber isolation mounts. The driver-side arm has a single nut with one of the same rubber isolation mounts. Just tighten the three nuts and your filter housing should no longer lift off!

Steve

The H-shaped bracket between the head and air filter housing in your pic attaches to the 2 rubber mounts with studs & nuts that protrude from the filter housing. There is another mount on the other side.

Steve, John - thank you very much for your replies..!

That piece is missing, so I'll work on getting a replacement.

Steve, John - thank you very much for your replies..!

That piece is missing, so I'll work on getting a replacement.

So the photo isn't of your car? If it is, the passenger-side bracket with rubber isolation mounts is clearly visible (rising above the valve cover just aft of the fuel pump).

Steve

If the motor is shaking violently, it is possible that the ear on the left side of the subframe upon which the motor mount is attached has cracked. This is pretty common (and repairable) and is an issue that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

GL,

is that Brunos old car ??? Are you in Minnesota?