s99

Opinions wanted: flares or no?

9 posts / 995 viewsLast Reply

I've been contemplating this for a long time now. I'm really on the fence about it. I've seen some cars pull of flares wonderfully (pwagon's) and others that I don't find as attractive. How do you guy feel about this flare/ wheel combo? Wheel pictured is 13x8. Tire size will be 205/60. Obviously the ride height will differ from what is seen here. I'm going to be running bisteins with adjusters in the rear.

What do you guys think? Flares or no?

post-17228-1366766637113_thumb.jpg

Which flares are those in the picture? I've been weighing options myself and haven't yet seen any which are black and don't appear to have the extra lip.

I'd answer the question first: do you like the look of the flares because you'll be the one looking at this car the most.

It will then come down to playing with ride height, tyre size and wheel options to get the overall look you want regardless of flares or not. Both can look brilliant, but if you are going for a low offset or wide wheel, I'd lean towards the flares...

Good luck!

I had the same issue , soooo 1 car with flares one car without ...problem solved :)

If I could afford another, or a few more, I would most certainly!

Which flares are those in the picture? I've been weighing options myself and haven't yet seen any which are black and don't appear to have the extra lip.

I am not quite sure of their brand. I bought them from a member some years ago!

I'd answer the question first: do you like the look of the flares because you'll be the one looking at this car the most.

It will then come down to playing with ride height, tyre size and wheel options to get the overall look you want regardless of flares or not. Both can look brilliant, but if you are going for a low offset or wide wheel, I'd lean towards the flares...

Good luck!

Good insight! I do believe I am going to be installing the flares some time soon! My BBS's are 13x8 in the back, 13x6 in the front, but I am going to be getting lips for the front to make them 8".

Well, if you're set on running 8in wheels, you really don't have too much choice. You can get away with an 8in wide setup on the rear if you're willing to have the car ride a little high to give you some clearance. If you're going to do that on the front, you'd basically need to run close to stock ride height to prevent your fenders from being destroyed over any significant bumps. Plus, that just looks silly.

If you roll and pull your stock fenders, the max you can do is 7.5in up front and 8in in the rear with the inner lip running right on the strut and rear coil. I'm pretty sure that is what Tom is running on his black car. I have 7in/7.5 on rolled fenders and I only just have clearance. My car is very low though.

Go with the flares man. Unless you really want to keep your car original, trust me, having the extra clearance to work with will make your life easier. The tolerances are extremely tight when you're putting wheels that bigger under stock fenders. Ultimately you car will probably handle better as well.

Jason