help, unlocking door without key

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I made the mistake of locking my drivers side door, now I can't unlock it with the key. Is there a way to get inside the panel and unlock it? Pulling the knob up works but as soon as I open the door the knob is pulled back down. Help, I'm getting tired of reaching across from the passenger side.

Guest Anonymous

take the trim panel off, you may need to remove the

driver's seat and the passenger seat. With the

panel remove you can reach and manually unlock

it, make sure you have a flash light to guide you.

Good luck, it's going to be tight.

Michael

Guest Anonymous

but the door should unlock automatically when you squeeze the inside door handle. If not, something's broke in there and you'll probably have to do door lock surgery.

Guest Anonymous

I got my key stuck in the door by turning it the wrong way, and I had to get it out somehow. What you need to do is pull the clips holding the door panel in place on the rear edge near the top out so you can stick your hand in. There is a slider that goes up and down, that the button on the top of the door is attached to. Try and push that up, it should move. If not, you'll have to take the door panel off with the door closed. It is possible, I've done it. You need to take out the seat from the opposite side of the car, take all the things off the door and then work all the clips free (it will be tight where the panel is near the dash). Then you'll need to lift up the chrome trim near the top, and the panel should come off. That will give you access to the lock mechanism.

Guest Anonymous

lisabad3.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

as i recall that knob thing is on a lever that operates the lock itself. it sounds like yer mechanism in there is broken or has come apart. take the door panel off and see what you can find out. i have to take my doors apart soon to replace the moisture barriers in mine... fuckin thing fills with water whenever it rains!!

-Rob