2002isGuy

Strange wiring fault in light circuit

3 posts / 488 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys,

My 1974 02 has developed a strange wiring fault it appears. The car has been garaged now for probably what can be called the s l o w e s t restoration project on this forum, (7 years now). Now that I've resumed the final stages of my custom restoration I've upgraded to LED's all around, and that's when I noticed this fault. Usually I'm pretty good at troubleshooting, but this one has me stumped.

When I did the LED upgrade, all I did was replace the flasher with an LED flasher that has the same pin-out and went wire by wire matching them up on the flasher and switched out all of the bulbs. I hadn't paid any attention to the lights before this. The LED's all flash at at normal rate because of the new flasher and work fine.

Now when I turn on the hazard flasher all four lights you'd expect to see flash, DO on the front and rear, but the left rear tail light also flashes. That's not all. When I turn on the headlights, the front and rear running lights come on as you'd expect, but the amber right rear turn signal light also lights up.

What the???

I've checked wiring and can't find anything out of place, being grounded that shouldn't be or making connection to another light. I've looked at a nice wiring diagram I bought years ago that's 11x17 and color-coded that I've used in my troubleshooting efforts that hasn't helped to this point either.

I'm stumped on this one... Anyone have any input that may be helpful in my troubleshooting efforts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Barry

By the way, I thought a few of you might like to see a pic of what bright blue LED's look like in a 2002 dome light. Please excuse my messy interior.

interior-led

Barry