Chamoix

New front seatbelts

5 posts / 530 viewsLast Reply

I bought some new front seatbelts on Fleabay. $85 + $15 shipping. Turns out they came from Select Classics in TX. Arrived very quickly and came with all new bolts, washers, and spacers. Bolted the driver's side in 15 min. and it seems to work perfectly. Belt actually retracts for the first time since I have had the car (12 years). Only negative is that the reciever part of the latch that bolts to the center tunnel is about 2 or 3 inches shorter than the original one so a little more of a stretch to get it hooked. Thought about using the old ones, but the tang from the new belt wouldn't fit in. Over all, I'm happy with them. No more having to toss the belt onto the seat before closing the door or closing the belt in the door.

Try contacting "bluedevil" on this board to see if has still has extenders for the center clasp.

Bob Napier

Enjoy your Taiwanese made seat belts, circa 2007-2008. They are OK but the male latches are a pain since they don't slide easily. You can use repa receivers on the tunnel, they will work with repa (I have some) but not with Autoflug receivers. 3" extension brackets are available from online seat belt outfits for about 3-4 bucks each.

Bluedevils,

Do I detect a hint of condescension in your comment? I appreciate the obvious regard that this forum holds for your expertise with regards to belts. I also know that there is a good, better, and best for most everything. My wife and I both have commutes of less than 2 miles and either ride a bike or a 50cc scooter. There is an E46 wagon in the driveway for out of town trips, but I literally have to manufacture a reason to drive the 02. Saturday trips to Home Depot etc. I'm still satisfied that my $100 replacement belts were a good choice. By the way, the tag on them says they were made in the US in 2009.

Bluedevils,

Do I detect a hint of condescension in your comment? I appreciate the obvious regard that this forum holds for your expertise with regards to belts. I also know that there is a good, better, and best for most everything. My wife and I both have commutes of less than 2 miles and either ride a bike or a 50cc scooter. There is an E46 wagon in the driveway for out of town trips, but I literally have to manufacture a reason to drive the 02. Saturday trips to Home Depot etc. I'm still satisfied that my $100 replacement belts were a good choice. By the way, the tag on them says they were made in the US in 2009.

I wasn't. if the box says USBElts then they are made in Twain, check the white tag stitched to webbing at end plate loop (both sides). It is possible they were assembled in US by Beam's industries but they go for $150 a set. I am not saying they are bad, just think that your car deserves a better set, either new belts from BMW or German made aftermarket sets, difference in fit and finish is huge, even though they may both function the same. Just my 5 cents. When it comes to safety and style, I would not use offshore parts in my bimmers, that is my personal opinion. If you think BMW belts are expensive, try a 911 set! If you take your retractor apart you would see what I mean, scary engineering (but don't do that as they are made not to last for a long time, the cheap plastic parts inside the retractor will brake easily if you manhandle it).

Enjoy.