Anschauer

Does this give Munich any ideas?

18 posts / 1163 viewsLast Reply

Are you kidding? BMW can't even get motherf*ckin ***fuel injection lines*** correct, let alone sheet metal that actually FITS!

Sorry...this is a sore spot for me. Grrrrrgh!

Love the Ford body though! :-)

Seriously. Half the brand new BMW mobile tradition parts I've bought over the last few years are defective or already failing, the quality is at VW levels of shit, we're better off finding NOS or even decent used parts most of the time. At the rate they're going, I'd be afraid to see how a new body or anything significant would wind up.

Seriously. Half the brand new BMW mobile tradition parts I've bought over the last few years are defective or already failing, the quality is at VW levels of shit, we're better off finding NOS or even decent used parts most of the time. At the rate they're going, I'd be afraid to see how a new body or anything significant would wind up.

Can you please elaborate on the parts issues?

Sure, just off hand... 2002 fuel tank filler neck rubber thing (cracking after 1 year, about to fall apart, very thin rubber), driver side mirror wobbly right out of the box, badges de-laminate within years, E3 arm rest chrome cap (chrome peeled off within 1/2 a year! junkyard ones still look OK)

Sure, just off hand... 2002 fuel tank filler neck rubber thing (cracking after 1 year, about to fall apart, very thin rubber), driver side mirror wobbly right out of the box, badges de-laminate within years, E3 arm rest chrome cap (chrome peeled off within 1/2 a year! junkyard ones still look OK)

new roundels for my e39 are a replace once a year on the front. they're just made of chrome plastic that peels in one florida summer.

These are not Ford products. They are made by an independent manufacturer and Ford has allowed them to do so. I am sure if someone wants to build a 2002 shell and asks BMW for permission to do, they would probably not mind. All it will do is generate additional business for their BMW Classic parts, regardless how crappy those parts are.

Yep. Similarly you can buy brand new Mustang bodies, similar sort of deal. There's definitely no viable market for 02 (or any other German car) bodies, though it sure would be cool.

Hey this is great. Keeps people from molesting original cars. Someone should start a company making E30, 2002, e28, e3, e9, neu classe, Mercedes w114, 1949 plymouth, and 1962 olds 88 shells like this...

I think that covers my current list of what cars I love and own or owned. :)

I doubt that BMW or Mercedes would allow it. Have you seen that article about them seizing and crushing the 300SL replica recently?

Beware the OEM 02 exhaust system!

7 months old, black soot on seams of rear muffler, leaking. Center resonator heat sheild rattling. Price with downpipe: $800cdn.

Twice the price of the IE stainlesss steel system. Lesson learned.

Guest Anonymous

Mercedes crushed the 300SL because it was a replica that was not approved by Mercedes. If someone were to reproduce the 300SL and ask Mercedes for permission, they may allow it. I am sure they would want to make sure that the replicas could not be confused with the originals since the current 300SL owners would probably not like the idea.

If someone was to reproduce the 2002 shell without BMW's permission, they will have to use a current 2002 and "rebuild" it using the current VIN and title, just like the Speedster replica guys do.

Creating a car from scratch is more complicated, from a legal standpoint.

Beware the OEM 02 exhaust system!

7 months old, black soot on seams of rear muffler, leaking. Center resonator heat sheild rattling. Price with downpipe: $800cdn.

Twice the price of the IE stainlesss steel system. Lesson learned.

Thats for sure!! Also the OEM BMW door rubber sux. Hard as a rock and pushes the wing glass out on top. The parts may all be OEM BMW but there is a HUGE difference from the 60's to now in terms of quality of materials, quality of manufacture etc. I would image if you took a NOS ball joint it would last much longer than a new OEM one. Also I have been thru 2 new clutch masters in the last year. Both failed internally and started to have bleed by issues. I also bought an OEM resonator for my car a few years back (swapped to an IE stainless and have ben smiling since)That resonator ended up cracking at the welds up front and dropped when I was on the highway

To bad these cars were not popular enough to afford re-poppng parts and getting some quality parts back in the system

there are thousands of old BMWs on the roads..there are MILLIONS of old American cars on the road so we are a minority in this country