jjbunn

Lot of smoke after sitting for months.

22 posts / 1279 viewsLast Reply

Since getting the 02 I've only started it a few times, a couple of times just after I got it (about six months ago), to make sure it was running alright, then a few weeks ago, when I noticed the valve cover gasket was leaking (which I replaced) and then today, after changing the oil and filter.

Six months ago I don't remember much noticeable smoke out of the tailpipe, maybe a little. A few weeks ago I had smoke in the engine compartment from near the exhaust manifold, which I assumed was due to the leaking cover gasket, which is why I replaced it.

Today it is guffing a lot of grey smoke out of the exhaust, oil burning stuff. I also see some smoke around the block. My neighbors must love me.

What might be the trouble - head gasket? Or would some smoke be expected from an engine that had been sitting this long? Advice sought - thanks!

Make *VERY* sure it isn't oil weeping out of the head via the threads on the studs that hold the exhaust manifold on! That's a bulletproof recipe for underhood fire! Hot oil meets even hotter manifold - go whoosh!

Might also be oil from cracked/failing oil pressure switch

As for smoke out the tailpipe...might be a combination of accumulated oil on the rings (from leaky valve seals, while stationary) and what I fondly refer to as "mouse furniture" in the mufflers.

When mine sat for a while i had smoke as well. Turned out to be oil leaking from exhaust manifold studs. Check there. Also just do oil change and put some miles on it and see what happens.

Gray Smoke = Excess Fuel

Blue Smoke = Oil

It's definitely gray smoke, not blue. I thought it was oil burning, but perhaps I just have too rich a mixture!

I'm not sure how to proceed with a diagnosis. The car is not driveable - it's on jackstands - so a road test is not viable.

When mine sat for a while i had smoke as well. Turned out to be oil leaking from exhaust manifold studs. Check there. Also just do oil change and put some miles on it and see what happens.

Ok I will definitely check the manifold studs - thanks.

I just changed the oil and filter, so am good there.

Gray Smoke = Excess Fuel

Blue Smoke = Oil

It's definitely gray smoke, not blue. I thought it was oil burning, but perhaps I just have too rich a mixture!

I'm not sure how to proceed with a diagnosis. The car is not driveable - it's on jackstands - so a road test is not viable.

I would run it for a while let it idle to operating temperature and rev it for a little bit see if the smoke clears out.

If not maybe you have to adjust your mixture or rebuild your carb. But definitely not half as serious as blue smoke! :)

How old is the fuel in the tank? the new fuels with ethanol have a very short life sitting in your fuel tank. before you take anyting apart try draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel. + everyting above.

How old is the fuel in the tank? the new fuels with ethanol have a very short life sitting in your fuel tank. before you take anyting apart try draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel. + everyting above.

It's a mixture of about 1 gallon very old (> 6 months) gas and 1.5 gallons of very new gas. I did put some Stabil in the tank a while back ...

I don't have a manual choke on the car - it's a water choke.

Julian

I would put my money on carb problems. Maybe it's not the best thing to do but run it for a while as I said above and close the mixture screw a bit see if that does something... If it's a lot of smoke though I don't think that'll do the trick and anyway you will probably only be covering up the real problem.