Rocan

Desperate measures... no premium fuel...

10 posts / 978 viewsLast Reply

Hard to get fuel lately thanks to hurricane sandy. Local pumps only have Regular (87 octane or thereabouts)... Anyone know how much octane booster additive it takes to take 10 gallons up to where it should be?

Or should I retard timing?

One method is free, but which do you all think is best?

Scratch that... no fuel anywhere.

my father was able to fill his truck this morning, but stations are empty now. Rumors of fuel becoming available tonight are around, and emergency stations are being set up, but I'd rather avoid the people scrambling to get fuel. The free 10 gallons they are offering is great, but i know a lot of people will just try to get it because its free gas, not because they need it.

Siphoned 2 gallons out of one of my bikes at least, so I have around 3-5 total for the '02. Thats good for at least 50 miles, which is enough for emergency purposes.

I run 87 all the time, when I can get it...

nothing's blown up yet.

t

I have been using the '02 as it had gas and my others did not, waited 2 1/2 hours this am got regular at 4.39 / per with a 10 gallon limit Crazy

had to help a bunch of old folks who never pumped prior, go figure

now have 2 cars with 1/2 tank each

Premium? Crap are we supposed to run that? I have only run 87 and 89 if I feel frisky. I have never heard so much as a ping from my car and I drive it uP a windy mountain road everyday to work. Stock compression and an aluminum head really helps detonation. In fact I have run iron head 10.5:1 comp v8s with approx 400 hp on 89. All about your tune!

Premium? Crap are we supposed to run that? I have only run 87 and 89 if I feel frisky. I have never heard so much as a ping from my car and I drive it uP a windy mountain road everyday to work. Stock compression and an aluminum head really helps detonation. In fact I have run iron head 10.5:1 comp v8s with approx 400 hp on 89. All about your tune!

Sure, it's all about the tune, but if you have to retard your timing to keep it from pinging under load, then you are losing power for just a few dollars saved at the pump.

I was able to score 5 gallons today. Line to drive in was horrendous, so instead I stood in the freezing cold for 3 hours to get 5 gallons pumped. two fights nearly broke out (jesus, people need to learn some common courtesy and stop bickering like children), but I have fuel for a week now. Lots of rules were broken... Countless people filling jugs that are nowhere near safe for fuel >,>.

Also spent about 20 minutes educating people on why high octane is different then regular, even though "they burn just the same when you light them on fire." Two guys went "OH, thats why my friends car made that weird noise when I put in regular fuel then!" ... the poor cars...

By the time I got home (around 10pm) I was so cold that I had to soak my hands and feet in cold water to keep the blood from rushing back too quickly. Now, I love the cold. I have spent all day waste deep in snow countless times, but I haven't felt this cold in ages. No room to move, just standing in place for 3 hours to move all of about 50 feet. bloody hell, I don't want to do that again for a while.

The things we do for our sweet 02's... I tell ya...

rocan,

if you can and don't mind the ride; go to jersey. i drove down near freehold (middle jersey) and got gas no problem. drove right up to the pump! i mean you have to pay the tolls to get there but I'd rather pay to drive over a bridge than wait in those crazy lines. I filled my wife's car and a 5 gallon container.

It's insane! 12 blocks long and people shoving. totally nuts!

I live on long island. The lines during the day are pretty long, however I happened to be up at 4am yesterday and i filled up with no wait. My advice is cruise around at 4 am and get gassed up fast.