Rocan

HORSEPOWER... At what point do you go "oh sh*t"

22 posts / 2043 viewsLast Reply

Been bored lately during hurricane Sandy... Just thought this would be a fun discussion. Let me begin with a disclaimer:

I know that the fun of these cars is in the handling and not in the horsepower. Now, I am not a horsepower head at all... the 50 or so horsepower that my mini has is plenty to keep me happy most days of the year, since the cornering ability is so amazing. I have no real desire to make a huge horsepower rocket that can barely get down the road, rather curious what all of you consider the point in which our sporty little 2002's make us (or rather, our passengers) need a change of underwear.

Assuming a weight of around 2250 pounds and a torque figure that is about equal with the horsepower, I'd say 200hp is the point where people start to get a little bit scared whenever you take it to redline.

Let's have your two cents, shall we? All of you with modified 02's, at what point did your car first send a shiver down your spine?

Are you kidding200 hp

Volkswagen engines make that much

Turbo bimmer 350 hp or go home

200hp is not much, but in a car as light and old as a 2002, it is nothing to snicker about.

Interesting idea. As far as power to weight goes, 200 horse in a 2250 pound car is about an 8.9 power to weight, which puts you in Dodge Challenger SRT8 territory. Bump it to 250 you get 11.2 which is better than a new STI.

Those are pretty easy numbers to hit with a turbo M20 in our cars, which is WAY cheaper than $50,000.

Interesting idea. As far as power to weight goes, 200 horse in a 2250 pound car is about an 8.9 power to weight, which puts you in Dodge Challenger SRT8 territory. Bump it to 250 you get 11.2 which is better than a new STI.

Those are pretty easy numbers to hit with a turbo M20 in our cars, which is WAY cheaper than $50,000.

Exactly my point. Thats why the horsepower game makes no sense... 200hp in a modern car is terrible when you consider the weight of all that safety equipment holding it down.

at the point that you realize you've spent more on the engine than

a new 5 series costs....

t

The Oh shit point is when you make enough power to spin the wheels at will in any gear. :)

The Oh shit point is when you make enough power to spin the wheels at will in any gear. :)

Sounds like that guy in Sweden (I think) with that turbo'd M10... I think he was pushing like 650hp!

Been bored lately during hurricane Sandy... Just thought this would be a fun discussion. Let me begin with a disclaimer:

I know that the fun of these cars is in the handling and not in the horsepower. Now, I am not a horsepower head at all... the 50 or so horsepower that my mini has is plenty to keep me happy most days of the year, since the cornering ability is so amazing. I have no real desire to make a huge horsepower rocket that can barely get down the road, rather curious what all of you consider the point in which our sporty little 2002's make us (or rather, our passengers) need a change of underwear.

Assuming a weight of around 2250 pounds and a torque figure that is about equal with the horsepower, I'd say 200hp is the point where people start to get a little bit scared whenever you take it to redline.

Let's have your two cents, shall we? All of you with modified 02's, at what point did your car first send a shiver down your spine?

I have 525 hp in my 02 . I think its great fun but passengers look a bit scared when we hit 7000 rpm and half a meter flame shoots out of the sidepipe on the passenger side. I also have the ability to flick a switch to lower the power to 400hp. Then I will have lots of grip from second to fifth gear. So i would say 400 hp is perfect if you want pretty safe performance on public roads ;-)

To quote Mr. Mark Donohue when asked if 1500 HP in his 917/30 was "to much HP" he replied "when you can spin the tires from the apex of one corner all the way to the braking point of the next corner, then you have ENOUGH HP!"

Guest gliding_serpent

I think the driver goes "oh sh!t" when they have enough power that they poo-poo 200hp on a forum and then go high speed driving and come upon an emergency braking situation and remember that with all their focus on hp bragging rights, they forgot to get sufficiently powerful breaks, all as their tuned engine begins to act as a crumple zone...