RAS-2002

BMW 2002: 1972 vs 1973

8 posts / 1284 viewsLast Reply

Oh, so many, many years ago: I bought a new '73 '02 way back in Dec '72(Sahara, VIN 2585896). Sad to say it's now long gone. I'd love to get another one from that time period, and have heard and read that the '73s are more desirable than the '72s. Other than the '73 bumpers sticking out a little further, and an improved head on the late 72's and '73s, what other differences are there? Any experiences regarding reliability, performance, overheating etc etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in Orange County NY, and if anyone knows of a decent (as rust-free as possible) '02 or '02tii for sale somewhere in my area (greater NY/NJ region), please let me know. If it's okay to display my email address here, I can be reached at: bob9091 at optonline dot net

Much obliged,

Bob Strong

I like the early heads (121 / 121ti) as much as the later (E12) heads, but the thing I prefer about the 73s over the 72s is the heater fan slider lever vs rotating fan speed knob. More ergonomic. It's a small thing, but I miss that about my 73s.

Check with Sports Car Restoration in Plainville (West Hartford area) CT. Ask for Matt McGinn. He may have one or two nice ones for sale. Worth the drive. The man lives and breathes 2002s. He probably has 20+ under his roof undergoing full nut and bolt restorations right now. He's good people. I spent almost half my yearly salary with him and we're still friends, years later. That's true testament to his character.

http://www.sports-car-restoration.com

I think the first half of the year '72's came with the 1 barrel solex.

73's have:

illuminated heater controls

stronger bumpers with pointed front guards

different grills (narrow)

weird shifter interlock switch and wiring (USA models)

tii has aluminum intake runners

More stuff I forget and have to look up...

I love them both.

I would put the "rust issue" way ahead of the "'72 vs. '73 issue" if I were choosing!

Good luck with your search.

Steve

identical except for the stronger bumper brackets on the 73. Those brackets are desirable in front (protect those fragile grilles) but you may or may not like the spaced out rear bumpers. Otherwise...the same.

mike

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info on Sports Car Restoration. I'll give Matt a call next week.

Much obliged,

Bob Strong

I like the early heads (121 / 121ti) as much as the later (E12) heads, but the thing I prefer about the 73s over the 72s is the heater fan slider lever vs rotating fan speed knob. More ergonomic. It's a small thing, but I miss that about my 73s.

Check with Sports Car Restoration in Plainville (West Hartford area) CT. Ask for Matt McGinn. He may have one or two nice ones for sale. Worth the drive. The man lives and breathes 2002s. He probably has 20+ under his roof undergoing full nut and bolt restorations right now. He's good people. I spent almost half my yearly salary with him and we're still friends, years later. That's true testament to his character.

http://www.sports-car-restoration.com

The main difference between an original '72 and and original '73 non-tii was considerably more power and better response.

After having had my '72 for 2 years I bought a year-old '73 in early '74 and what a great car that was.

They got rid of the parasite air pump and much of the last-minute slap-on EPA smog equipment they needed to market in the USA. Weight savings alone were probably 20 pounds not to mention better mileage.

Also the new '74's had a face only a mother could love (and now I have 2 of the beasts)

The '73 was Polaris/navy and was last seen in New Orleans many years ago.