Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

value question: S14 vs stock tii engine

5 posts / 995 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi All -

I've been lurking here for a month or so because I'm shopping for a 2002.

I'm very intrigued by the S14 conversion M2 but I wonder how this conversion truly impacts the value of a car?

Consider this comparison:

A well sorted tii driver that is mechanically sound and cosmetically in good to very good condition. This would be a numbers matching car with reasonable miles.

Now consider that same exact car with a S14 conversion.

Is the M2 really worth more? If so, what is your opinion of how much more?

Performing a search I found this:

"...At resale, the overall condition of the car, particularly the body, paint, and exterior is far more important than whether the car has a lightly-prepared engine. The exception is if the car has an S14 engine from an E30 M3. "

These conversions are expensive but as with any project like this you can never expect to get the money out of it that you invest.

My big question is how much do you all think this would add in value??

I know - a car is worth what someone is willing to pay. But you all have been watching the 2002 market longer than I have and I'm just looking for your educated opinion / guess.

Thanks very much for you thoughts -

Guest Anonymous

SORRY

I meant to post this over in the General Discussion - it's there now...

Tom,

I think the matching numbers Tii will always bring more value. Also the fact that the market will be better later down the road when you decide to sell it with the tii. The M2 is cool but limited market and the parts for that motor can scare people from getting into that car. Also how clean of a swap performed will also dictate the value as to any vehicle.

At the same time a well sorted m2 can fetch big bucks as well to the right buyer.

LT

[email protected]