260chrisb

grinding noise

12 posts / 694 viewsLast Reply

As my '74 idles it makes a grinding noise that goes away when I put the clutch in. I've had the stock 4 speed trans rebuilt in this car as I have in my '72 tii that does not make the same sound. Thoughts? Thanks.

sounds like a possible wonky throw out bearing...

That's what I suspected. So, where is it and what's it take to fix it? Wouldn't a good time to replace it be when the trans was being rebuilt?Thanks.

That's what I suspected. So, where is it and what's it take to fix it? Wouldn't a good time to replace it be when the trans was being rebuilt?Thanks.

Replace it when rebuilding the trans. Its enclosed with the clutch, inside the bell housing of the trans.

Many thanks. So, now that I've had the motor and trans rebuilt and clutch replaced I find out this is what causes the grinding after being told it was a matter of changing to a different trans fluid. Maybe this means the guy who did the rebuild didn't think this needed to be replaced as he did the trans or didn't want to get into it again after the job was done? How big a job is it if I have it done now after the fact? What happens if I don't have it replaced?

Every time you change the clutch you have to change the throw out bearing and the pressure plate. I honestly don't understand why anyone would go through the labor of dropping the transmission etc and not replacing the bearing.

It will need to go off again to be repaired it's basically doing the whole job again.

I wouldn't leave it sounding like that for long, complain to your mechanic about him not replacing it on the first time.

That's what I suspected all along and sadly the guy who did the work knows better and is as good as they come in the '02 world. So what happens if I let it go?

I've never seen a car go that far. I would suppose your clutch would be stuck in the engaged position and you will probably damage other parts on the clutch kit.

Make sure you also replace the pilot bearing when you replace the throwout.

If the noise is going away when you push in the clutch, it is either the input shaft bearing or the pilot bearing. When you push in the clutch you are engaging the thro-out bearing. G

with the engine idling and your foot is off the clutch, and it goes away when you press the clutch pedal, then it most likely is not the throwout bearing. A bad throwout bearing makes noise when your foot is on the clutch; a bad pilot bearing (supports the tranny's input shaft at the flywheel/crankshaft end will make noise when your foot is off the clutch.

Later cars (squarelights) have needle pilot bearings, which generally are not as long lived as the ball bearings used on earlier cars.

First make sure there's plenty of oil in the tranny; if that's OK, chances are good it's the pilot bearing--smaller chance it's the input shaft bearing in the tranny.

happy troubleshooting

mike

Guest Anonymous

and if it is the pilot bearing, you fix it by pulling the tranny and it should havebeen replaced when you had the other work done.

If the noise is going away when you push in the clutch, it is either the input shaft bearing or the pilot bearing. When you push in the clutch you are engaging the thro-out bearing. G

I misread, you are absolutely right he said goes away when pushing the clutch in. It's probably the pilot bearing.

Still if you take it apart replace the throw out if you are certain that the mechanic didn't do it. Maybe you can ask him for the parts list he used when assembling your car?