scanner

Another relay question!

4 posts / 567 viewsLast Reply

My '73 (RHD Squarelight) has two fuses for the low beam (one for each side_ and a relay in the circuit before the fuses. On the 86 terminal i would have expected there to be an earth but instead it seems to be looped into the feed to one of the main beams. This appears to be correct to the factory wiring diagram but seems strange, can anyone shed light on why it was done this way?

I was considering bypassing this loop, run the low beam relay terminal 86 straight to ground, then run a separate fused relay for each main beam connected after the fusebox, or is it overkill to have 2 main beam relays? BTW there is no relay for the mainbeams atm.

Your correct, low beam is grounded by the highbeam.

Not sure why but it makes the the low go out when high is on. might be to save lamp and reflector due to heat.

I have mine rewired, one relay for low and one for high, high still feed ground to low beam relay.

Think of the low beams as grounded via the high beams.

And remember the lights switch only affects the +12v, not the earth (-12v). So it does not matter that the earths are joined.

Also its is a design feature that the low beams switch off when the high beams switch on. this is to stop switches/light assemblies from melting and batteries from going flat from the extra power drain.

HTH, Beaner7102

Your correct, low beam is grounded by the highbeam.

Not sure why but it makes the the low go out when high is on. might be to save lamp and reflector due to heat.

I have mine rewired, one relay for low and one for high, high still feed ground to low beam relay.

Thanks for the replies guys, i kind of get it and if it works then why mess with it! What i do want to do is put a mainbeam relay in to reduce the load on the lightswitch and stalk.

Should this relay be positioned before or after the loop to the low beam relay? My thought is that it should be between the fuse and the low beam relay because if i position it between the low beam relay and the main headlight it will be inturrupting the earthing of the low beam relay? Or do i just not get it at all!!

Im also thinking of having a seperate relay for each high beam or is this just overkill and a waste of time?

All help gratefully received and appreciated