• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT - Mailbox warfare

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I used to live in Maine, I had the same problem, about 2am

every once in a while a loud ass truck would come by and

nail my poor mail box. My parents live on the same road and

their solution was to set an American flag so that it waved

proudly over the mail box, and in the last two years it hasn't

been touched !

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

First, sorry you are going through this crap- it has happened to me and to my friends in the past. Reading through the posts- I have to say we have an ingenious and right-thinking group here. Need to know 1 thing: have you spoken with your local postmaster general ( or private) about this situation? Maybe they can clarify the "booby -trapped/ liability-generating" type of maibox we are suggesting. It would also help to alert your carrier to any "changes" you may make to the box, and it would establish for the future that "youts" are f**king with the U.S. Mail which is a heavy Federal wrap if pushed. Finally, if you are unsuccessful in deterring this interruption of delivery ( which it techinically is although you retrieve your box and contents from the bushes), I think the local Post Office must make a box available to you within the Post Office. ( Yes, I agree 100%- it is a PITA to go into town to get your mail- but that is what they do when repeated theft/destruction of mail occurs and it will insure that you dont lose any private/important mail). Anyway, in no -snow country , we have built a base of block/concrete and rebar, and used a "rubbermaid-type" box they sell that does not deform when hit. This was the "kinder/gentler" box because it just popped off when hit, but was replaceable every time. The stronger/meaner box sat on similar column and was welded plate steel, with a beefy internal hinge and lock. We saw evidence of broken bat pieces for a couple nights and then nothing. But that box is like a tree if hit by grandma in her 2002 "cabriolet" and it would definately do serious damage to car/persons. I really like the snow country ideas the guys suggested- especially the swing arm style. I think the youts will just enjoy playing "tether maibox" with it though. If you could set your box further back off the road, the youts would have to slow way down and leave the road to get close enough to hit it. That would take a lot of the fun away from their "hit", and if they tried to do it at speed, it might cause them to beef their vehicle into your front property barrier. Your town probably has a mailbox distance rule for the convenience of the carrier, but maybe you could get that waived/modified for a while to get past this entertainment phase . Maybe one of us who uses Lexis or Westlaw could do a search about Indestructable mailboxes and owner liability to parties who hit them. I think this problem has been around for a long enough time to have generated some cases that may be published. Hopefully there is some sort of precedent in your state. Once the potential liability to perps/innocents is evaluated, and the post office is brought in, you can build a box that you feel comfortable about. I hope you build a Hunter Orange bat/wrist/forearm crusher. Hope Phil -the Bonb Guy chimes in on this one. lol. Really, though, good luck and I hope this stops soon for you without injury to your wallet or to grandma in the "cabriolet".///