2002FjordBaur

Under carpet sound deadening material

10 posts / 1937 viewsLast Reply

Hi all,

Could anyone recommend a material that doesn't have to be stuck to floor but can be left 'floating' ?

I've recently had lots of lovely new metal welding into my targa and i want to make sure that if in the future my car takes in any water (hopefully not, but you never know) i have the option to take out all carpets and underlay to help dry the interior out.

I've seen the rusty mess that was under the original BMW stuck down material and i don't really want to create a similar situation.

Any help much appreciated

Franc

I've been very pleased with the effectiveness of regular home carpet padding, which I cut slightly smaller than the carpet pieces and just laid under them. Quieted the car down a lot and was cheap as free (leftovers from new carpet in our house).

-Dave

the whole point of sound deadening is to attach (stick) the material to the metal to dampen the vibrations of the metal...those vibrations are what transmits sound. if you really want the sound reduced, you have to paint on or stick on a sound deadening product.

the whole point of sound deadening is to attach (stick) the material to the metal to dampen the vibrations of the metal...those vibrations are what transmits sound. if you really want the sound reduced, you have to paint on or stick on a sound deadening product.

I think the weight of the carpet is enough to kill at least most of the vibrations.

@OP perhaps attach the deadening in places where rust is less likely, so the deadening doesn't fold up/crinkle. Allows for easy peel back if water ever did get in.

If it helps it all, I just replaced my carpet this weekend(s) with your kit Esty, It came out well, took my time. I used a black rubber material used in weight rooms(made for dampening sound, reducing vibrations), it came in like 6 large squares that can interlock, I used it on along the floor pans....give the pans a much sturdier and quieter feel, runs about $32 which is alot cheaper then other alternatives and can be removed (I didnt glue mine in for same reason)

Coincidentally I also just replaced my under carpet padding with the same weighlifting mat material. I like it b/c it is heavy, waterproof and flexible enough. After cutting it to size I glued it to my existing carpet (original) using Amazing Goop and let it dry completely. I then was able to lay it back in (not glueing to the floor of course) and can easily lift it up should any water get in there (knock on wood doesn't happen).

~Jason

I am thinking of dealing with noise and vibrations this winter. Have there been any studies/reviews of the different products using a decibel meter? I would love to see a before and after with numbers instead of "it feels solid and quieter". I keep searching but haven't had any luck yet.

Jeff