alijzari

Fuel Pump location

8 posts / 2511 viewsLast Reply

Yeah. Goes on the cylinder head if your car's hasn't been replaced with a tii or later injection 320i/318 head.

It's the bronze looking thing on the side of the cylinder head, approx. in the middle of this pic.

Someone may have replaced yours with a block off plate and ran an electrical pump- easily undone if you want to revert back to stock, just have to replace fuel line and get a MATCHING fuel pump, actuator rod and spacer. Otherwise, the rod may be too long or too short to actuate the pump properly.

020.jpg

(And yes, I KNOW the engine is filthy, this was in 2008 before I resurrected this car from the confines of our garage)

That's cleaner than mine...

t

Thanks for the picture. Another quick question, what is the funky looking round thing right near the alternator just below the fuel pump. My 74 has one and it is cracked. I hear some vacuum noise but the car runs great so not sure what it does. Do you know?

Thanks,

John G.

"the funky looking round thing right near the alternator just below the fuel pump"

Answer ....EGR Valve

Thanks. Can you help me with one other thing, or anyone? I have a 1976 02. Don't know any history of it other than I think it lived the same life that James Hunt did :-) I wanted to switch to a mechanical fuel pump, it came with electric, and there is no spot in the head for one. See the attached picture. Do you know when BMW switched the head to allow only for an electric fuel pump?

post-39570-0-62527700-1383008886.jpg

Do you know when BMW switched the head to allow only for an electric fuel pump?

I thought the change was with the E21 320i. 2002s had mechanical pumps as seen above.

+1... All 2002's, with the exception of tii's had a mechanical fuel pump.  (Not sure about factory turbos).

Regards, Maurice.