dlmrun2002

o2 Working Hurricane Sandy

17 posts / 1273 viewsLast Reply

Got a few gas cans- 2 5 gallon's and a few smaller but none as big as the o2 tank. Been using the o2 as a "holding tank" during the off season. E-Z to siphon compared to the newer cars. Some how I managed NOT to get a mouth full of gas when siphoning at 6AM !!!

Road is blocked with downed trees so generator is good for about 12 more hours. Thank you o2.

Doug M ny country

post-2527-13667666076075_thumb.jpg

for pumping gas.....i use cheap "mr gasket" fuel pump, some hose, a old fuel filter and a spare 12v battery. MUCH better than sucking gas and trying to siphon. faster too.

2012-10-14_13-41-09_742.jpg

I'm guilty of the same so this isn't a criticism.

Nothing like an open gas tank, battery with temporary wires, un-mounted fuel pump, and fuel flowing all in a somewhat confined space!

John

enclosed space (like your trunk). Gas fumes are heavier than air and will settle at the bottom of the trunk. If the fuel pump wiring sparks when you disconnect it you may well have a 2002 flambe...I'd put both the battery and the gas can on the ground so that gas fumes will dissipate.

I have witnessed several serious car and building fires that resulted from improper gas tank draining: one took out an entire repair shop and 14 cars; the other burned five cars and nearly took out the dealership--only reason it didn't was the building was concrete and the fire department was only two minutes away.

GAS IS SCARY STUFF...BE CAREFUL.

mike

yep, gas can be scary. and the picture looks like a "how not to do it" example.

car was outside. there was a breeze.

trunk has so many large rust holes in it that it was effectively an open space

elec connections to pump made outside trunk under car. through one of the big rust holes in spare tire well.

elec connections to pump made outside trunk under car. through one of the big rust holes in spare tire well.

Siphoning fuel is foolish no matter how you do it, plain and simple. This storm has been in the news for days, you should have gone out and bought gas prior to it hitting. I honestly can't believe someone (especially on this forum) is siphoning fuel out of their car's fuel tank, with a REAL source of ignition just inches away, seriously...

Ah you haven't lived till you vaccumed out a gas tank with a shop vac and have the top of the shop vac blow 30 ft in the air!

John

Siphoning fuel is foolish no matter how you do it, plain and simple. This storm has been in the news for days, you should have gone out and bought gas prior to it hitting. I honestly can't believe someone (especially on this forum) is siphoning fuel out of their car's fuel tank, with a REAL source of ignition just inches away, seriously...

to be clear, i WAS NOT siphoning fuel for a generator. i bought lots of fresh gas for the genset well ahead of the storm. seriously...calm down. geeez.

the pic is of transferring the old gas out of a parts car before removing the tank.

Ah you haven't lived till you vaccumed out a gas tank with a shop vac and have the top of the shop vac blow 30 ft in the air!

I love this image! This is (unfortunately) something right up my alley...

I love this image! This is (unfortunately) something right up my alley...

It made a big, KAFFOOOOOOM noise and took the suction hose with it!

John

John

Words to live by:

A gallon of Gasoline will propel you about 20 miles horizontally, and 1 mile vertically.

;)

Stay safe out there, boys and girls.

the headlight fuse (one of the old glass ones) on his old Chevy pickup truck blew--at night--so he replaced it with the handiest thing of a similar size--a .22LR round. Now the fusebox on old (50s) Chevy pickups is on the firewall, driver's side. You can probably guess the rest:

the fuse originally blew due to a short; it took a few minutes for the .22 round to get hot enough to cook off. Suffice it to say the driver won't be fathering any children--probably a good thing for the gene pool...

mike

I disagree. I have three cars in my garage with full tanks of fuel. I live in hurricane country. I feel better knowing that I have about 50 gallons of gas on hand for any emergency.

Last time a big one hit Houston (Ike) we didn't have power for 3 days. Some people didn't have power for a week. Some gas stations didn't have gas for 3 to 5 days.

Hobby cars are a wonderful fuel storage medium.

Siphon carefully my friends......

Ken

Ah you haven't lived till you vacuumed out a gas tank with a shop vac and have the top of the shop vac blow 30 ft in the air!

John

That's hilarious. Dangerous as hell but hilarious nonetheless!

Cheers,