ATLBMW

Light with "B" always on

14 posts / 2531 viewsLast Reply

On the instrument cluster, the light on the bottom left that has a "B" on it is always on when the car is running - is that normal?

It flashes when I turn on a turn signal, and then goes back to solid light on after I cut the signal off.

Brand new to the car, drove it for the first time yesterday. Not sure how long it has been on. car is slow to start, but i think it is from sitting vs. the battery.

Is the light on a sign of a bad alternator?

Both battery and alternator were replaced last week...

What does B stand for, battery?

Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking straight. Here's an explanation of the lights, photo cred C.D.iesel.

021968GAUGEandTAILITES.jpg

It sounds like you have either a bad hazard switch, a bad ground somewhere, or a bad relay. The turn signal system is a common fail point on 2002s, there's plenty of write ups on troubleshooting and repair. I've never heard of the light staying on and then blinking when you use it; have you verified the turn signals work outside the car? what happens when you push the hazard button?

A bad hazard switch can drain the battery, FYI.

let me be the first to say welcome to the 2002! It's a great little car!

Thanks, I feel like ill be spending a lot of time on here!

B is the blinker. Could be a lot of things but, I've had that light stay on when the blinker relay had moisture inside. Another issue may be the ground off the turn signal stalk.

Mine does that on the 1600. The front signals are wired incorrectly to single element bulbs (and no parking lights). You should have a dual element bulb at each front corner, properly wired.

The front lamp housings are grounded via the mounting screws. Eventually you may do well to run supplemental ground wires there.

GL,

signal flasher box is not fully releasing (under the dash, just above the hood release handle--the smaller of the two that says "Nicht Werfen", not the one that says "Wisch-Wash-Geber").

Check the archives on how to remove the cover from the box and unstick the points so that the "B" light on the dash blinks with the exterior turn signals.

cheers

mike

it could be as simple as your parking brake isn't closing the switch...depending on adjustment just a notch or 2 up on the p-brake will trip the light

or the p-brake switch may need to be adjusted so when the brake is all the way down it closes the switch under the handle

Guest Anonymous

heres the oink, pulled my front turn signals today, dangling in the wind, still functioned with no screws to ground, go figure, start thinlin like a German and all this o2 stuff will make sense.....................

I had the same problem with mine. I needed to replace the plunger switch in the Brake fluid res. The float had cracked, filled with fluid and no longer closed the connector switch. Replaced it w/ a new one and no more problems. Pull the electrical connector at the brake fluid res and see if that stops the problem. Just an FYI YMMV.

I think the thread got a bit off the correct "B" light. I think the owner is talking about the turn signal indicator not the "brake failure" light. Although, it would be a good idea to make a note of both the parking brake and brake fluid reservoir's relationship with that the "brake failure" light as that will prove valuable in the future. I still remember the first time that light came on...met with just a moment of panic before I confirmed the pedal was still firm!

Okay, got it figured out today - it was the turn signal relay under the dashboard. I unplugged it, took the cover off, and tightened everything down in side by pushing them against the circuit board. Put it back together and now everything works fine.

Thanks all!