cxzsaq

Oil PSI is at 90 after weekend spin-out

11 posts / 742 viewsLast Reply

Hi All.

I was driving agressively through Harriman Park this weekend (similar to doing this with Joel + David a few weeks ago) (see vids below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-qMFlSq8-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW06QRLqWng

Anyway, I spun out on a tight turn, stalled, turned the car back on and drove away without an issue.

Later that day, I noticed that my oil PSI was at 90 while driving. Idle PSI is around 30.

In the past, I was between 30 and 60 PSI while driving.

What did i break?

72tii. New motor/new bmw oil pump. car performance did not change.

I spun out here. Going 50.

http://goo.gl/maps/m8xNH

Hmm. Isn't there a pressure relief spring somewhere?

Sounds weird, though.

GL,

enough to check as it's accessible externally. Check the archives for instructions.

cheers

mike

well, if you consider pulling the oil pan 'easy'.... yeah, it's not hard.

But #1, what kind of gauge? That's the primary suspect, usually.

Because, yes, the oil pressure bypass valve sticks on these motors,

but the usual failure mode is that they stick shut cold, and then as

the engine heats up, they pop loose again, and pressure sits around

60 hot over 2500.

If, cold, your oil pressure spikes over 150, then yeah, you have a stuck valve.

Unless you whacked the front of the oil pan and phyically damaged the valve

WITHOUT damaging the oil pump badly, though, your spin couldn't have done it.

I guess if you dented it up and pushed the tube up into the pump, maybe.

Check that!

I've looped the race car at least a dozen times, and while other things

have resulted, it doesn't strain the oil pump unduly.

And I guess I should say that racetracks are the primary place to try spinning.

Although I have done it in other, less- controlled environments....

hth

t

well, if you consider pulling the oil pan 'easy'.... yeah, it's not hard.

But #1, what kind of gauge? That's the primary suspect, usually.

Because, yes, the oil pressure bypass valve sticks on these motors,

but the usual failure mode is that they stick shut cold, and then as

the engine heats up, they pop loose again, and pressure sits around

60 hot over 2500.

If, cold, your oil pressure spikes over 150, then yeah, you have a stuck valve.

Unless you whacked the front of the oil pan and phyically damaged the valve

WITHOUT damaging the oil pump badly, though, your spin couldn't have done it.

I guess if you dented it up and pushed the tube up into the pump, maybe.

Check that!

I've looped the race car at least a dozen times, and while other things

have resulted, it doesn't strain the oil pump unduly.

And I guess I should say that racetracks are the primary place to try spinning.

Although I have done it in other, less- controlled environments....

hth

t

Thank you.

I have a new VDO gauge and sender installed into the oil pressure sender hole on the back of the block (the original spot).

The gauge showed psi correctly before the spin so i doubt its the sender/gauge (30 at idle and 60 at cruise is what im used to).

I did not dent anything. Just spun out (did a 180).

In the past, PSI NEVER went over 90. 150 and I would have killed the motor asap.

Right now, cold PSI at start up is about 60.

Hi All.

I was driving agressively through Harriman Park this weekend (similar to doing this with Joel + David a few weeks ago) (see vids below):

Anyway, I spun out on a tight turn, stalled, turned the car back on and drove away without an issue.

Later that day, I noticed that my oil PSI was at 90 while driving. Idle PSI is around 30.

What did i break?

Bwahahaha.... A little too fast around that roundabout, huh? :)

I'm going with stuck oil relief as well. Could be stuck halfway or something odd. My bet is the spin didn't really knock it out of place, and that it was just a coincidence.

...Hmmm... going for a pre-hurricane drive through harriman and not inviting me or Joel, eh? It's hard enough keeping up with you on with your fancy-spancy "sway bars" and good tires... now I have to do it when you actually know the road! :)

All joking aside, glad it wasn't a little further down the road, otherwise that little spin could have meant hitting a tree or three.

Hi All.

What did i break?

Bwahahaha.... A little too fast around that roundabout, huh? :)

I'm going with stuck oil relief as well. Could be stuck halfway or something odd. My bet is the spin didn't really knock it out of place, and that it was just a coincidence.

...Hmmm... going for a pre-hurricane drive through harriman and not inviting me or Joel, eh? It's hard enough keeping up with you on with your fancy-spancy "sway bars" and good tires... now I have to do it when you actually know the road! :)

All joking aside, glad it wasn't a little further down the road, otherwise that little spin could have meant hitting a tree or three.

Hahahaha. This is what I get for going solo. Next time i know better. When going for an oil change, ill have 'the oil guy' open up the pan - ill search the forum for the oil relief valve.

getting a bit of a leg-up on you and joel for next year - when you are going to be leading us through the park.

: )

thanks for your reply. stay dry!

Make sure you tell the oil guy the proper process for removing the pan... removing distributor cap and lifting motor and such.

Better watch out... I wasn't pushing the car too hard because of the oil problem... I have a nice head sitting in my shop ready to go on... Oversized intake valves, a nice cam (not sure if stock or new high lift regrind, but likely regrind considering the build quality of the head), balanced rockers, and high strength springs. I'll probably lose power initially (except maybe at +4000 rpm, hehe), but once I get all of my fuel injection goodies installed and port match my manifold to the head with a good exhaust, you better watch out... I'm building a kormann/tii killer :)

As for leading the pack, sounds nice, but I'm going to miss being able to smoke out everyone behind me while pretending I'm james bond.... Might just have to install an oil injection nozzle into my intake thats button activated to have a smoke screen at moments notice! haha.

Can't wait for our next drive... hopefully we get some more people to join in!

Make sure you tell the oil guy the proper process for removing the pan... removing distributor cap and lifting motor and such.

Better watch out... I wasn't pushing the car too hard because of the oil problem... I have a nice head sitting in my shop ready to go on... Oversized intake valves, a nice cam (not sure if stock or new high lift regrind, but likely regrind considering the build quality of the head), balanced rockers, and high strength springs. I'll probably lose power initially (except maybe at +4000 rpm, hehe), but once I get all of my fuel injection goodies installed and port match my manifold to the head with a good exhaust, you better watch out... I'm building a kormann/tii killer :)

As for leading the pack, sounds nice, but I'm going to miss being able to smoke out everyone behind me while pretending I'm james bond.... Might just have to install an oil injection nozzle into my intake thats button activated to have a smoke screen at moments notice! haha.

Can't wait for our next drive... hopefully we get some more people to join in!

I look fwd to an awesome time. Next spring FOR SURE!!!!! We will get more people.

At idle, right?

And if you tach it to 4k, it should jump to over 100 if it's stuck.

Thing is, cold oil's absurdly thicker than hot oil, so it's not too uncommon

for a system that's working normally to make it over 80 psi on a really cold morning.

If it really is stuck, it's gotta be coincidence...

let us know when you get the pan off.

t

At idle, right?

And if you tach it to 4k, it should jump to over 100 if it's stuck.

Thing is, cold oil's absurdly thicker than hot oil, so it's not too uncommon

for a system that's working normally to make it over 80 psi on a really cold morning.

If it really is stuck, it's gotta be coincidence...

let us know when you get the pan off.

t

At hot idle, correct (drove around and parked). At 4k, it is right there at 90. Have not seen it go over 90.