ingramlee

Strut spacers

7 posts / 532 viewsLast Reply

Hi Folks,

I'll start by saying I've read many post here on this topic.

In an attempt to lower the front of my 73 an inch or so, I removed the strut spacers on the driver side only that is mounted on the topside fender under the hood. Prior to removing, the wheelwell measured 24 and 1/4 inches from the floor. After removing the spacer and reinstalling and tightening the nuts and lowering the car back to the floor the wheelwell then measured 26 and 1/2 inches from the floor.

PS. I only did one side to see how far it would lower.

So here are my questions;

1. Is the car sitting higher on the one side because I didnt do the passenger side?

2. If I remove the passenger side spacer and drive the car, will it level out and give me the inch or so im looking for?

Thanks

If the spacers are/were on top of the inner fender, ostensibly, the height should not change. The car would be a bit lower only if the spacers were below the inner fender.

If you took some weight off of the suspension while doing this, the higher height may because the car has not settled.

If the aluminum spacer was found under the hood, on top of the fender, removing it should not affect ride height - just leave you longer studs on your upper bearings. If you had the car jacked up. try bouncing the car a few times to see if it settles.

John,

Yes, the aluminum spacers are located on the topside of the strut under the hood. I bounced the car a few times and it has settled back to its previous height.

So, since the spacers are already located on top, does that mean by removing them the car will not be lowered? and the only way to do so is by replacing springs/struts?

Thanks.

You are correct - removing spacers that have been relocated to the top of the inner fender will not lower the car.

Lowering springs is you answer. Match the struts to the springs

It's as low as it will go, presently. You can replace the springs with engineered lowering/sport springs (and appropriate dampers) or cut the current springs (a somewhat controversial practice). Try a search to see different approaches/opinions.