73_02'

HELP! Coil/distributor Re-wire FROM SCRATCH

7 posts / 610 viewsLast Reply

Hey Guys/Gals,

Long Story Short, Bought a 1973 02' and all the wires from the Coil and distributor and everything else connected to them, is just a mess. cracked, melted, everything. So I'm looking at a complete re-wire for all of these components. Could someone please give me step by step directions on where every wire should go from the begining.

Thank you,

Sterling

Are you keeping any emissions equipment or are you running the bare minimum?

Just the bare Minnium. The car has a Webber carb.

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

Bump, Would like to get this car on the road before the snow flies up here in Canada.

It doesn't look that complex....

Run a wire to the coil for power (switched power that is) then run a wire to the dizzy and to the tach. I can't remember the exact numbers - hold on..

found this the other day since I'm doing the same thing - http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,349023/highlight,/sid,b98d0b73ab1120147b3e501b822df260/

EDIT: If you are running a "blue" coil you can/should omit the relay and resistor wiring.

Thanks for all the replys. Got a good spark now and the car runs, but barley. Replaced all plugs, coil, distributor rotor, points and condenser but still runs terrible. Back fires up through the carb and out the exhaust depending on how much you move the distributor. Any Ideas what this new problem could be? doesn't run smooth at all and feels like only running on afew cylianders.

If you have good spark - and obviously you're getting air - fuel is the last thing.

1) check your timing with a timing light (not that I have experience in that)

2) check the gap on your plugs and make sure the plugs are in good condition

and

3) make sure your carb is tuned correctly - what carb do you have? I want to say that there is a tuning guide here on the FAQs.