Gas Gauge

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

For a while my Gas Gauge would get stuck, pinned at full, if I knocked the gauge a few times usually it would fall down to where its supposed to be but lately no luck. Im guessing its a loose connection, or, its the gauge (which i have a replacement for in the case it is).

Do I need to take off the whole damn dash to get to the connection on the gas gauge?

on a limb, do you think it could be the sender's ground thats getting it stuck up high? (I moved it today so I thought that that might be it).

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=jumpy+gauges+bmw+2002&btnG=Google+Search

Check your grounds. ;p

The instrument panel comes out quite easily. You should add a pigtail ground wire to the back of the panel. There's a writeup on it here somewhere. The same bad grounds at the instrument panel can affect the temperature gauge.

Do a search for jumpy gauges and see what comes up. Or look at the link. Google is your friend. ;p

Also check the sender ground at the tank. And all others for that matter. Battery, wiring harness, etc.

Cheers,

Ray

Guest Anonymous

have already checked grounds at gauge and sender, the fuse and the sender itself. Temp gauge is rock steady. Next step: swap out the gas gauge and see what happens. Any other suggestions for things I might have overlooked?

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I did pull the sender and carefully ran the float up and down its resistance wires with the sender hooked up to an ohmeter. It worked just fine--no blips or jumps on the ohmeter. Guess I'll try one, then the other...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I put a clock in my tii and surprise, no power. The trace on the gauge PCB that supplies power for the clock had made itself into a fuse and melted. There's probably a loose connection on your gauge cluster somewhere.

With some effort, I was able to find the AMP connector socket that is used in the big round connector. Too bad I didn't write the part number down.... AMP will give you free samples if you say you're an engineer trying something out. It requires a special crimping tool, but I bet there's an electronics shop on WPAFB somewhere that can make it work for you. Those sockets are generally designed to be connected once or only a few times. After 30+ years, that limitation has been exceeded. I guess the engineers didn't reckon with people keeping these old cars alive so long.