ATLBMW

Confused - no tach?

13 posts / 853 viewsLast Reply

Grandfather is restored a '76 2002 manual tranny, and a '75 2002 automatic tranny, at the same time.

I am buying the '76 manual tranny, and drove it today. Instead of the tachometer on the right side of the instrument cluster, there is an analog clock. No tach anywhere. Never seen a manual without a tach, and wondering if he maybe put the instrument cluster from the automatic car in the manual car by accident.

Any thoughts?

Also, do I need the tach? Or can I just shift by sound?

Thanks in advance.

Grandfather is restored a '76 2002 manual tranny, and a '75 2002 automatic tranny, at the same time.

I am buying the '76 manual tranny, and drove it today. Instead of the tachometer on the right side of the instrument cluster, there is an analog clock. No tach anywhere. Never seen a manual without a tach, and wondering if he maybe put the instrument cluster from the automatic car in the manual car by accident.

Any thoughts?

Also, do I need the tach? Or can I just shift by sound?

Thanks in advance.

it was either an automatic changed to a stick or the cluster was changed...you can easily swap the clock for a tach...the wire is behind the cluster to work the tach...or not & shift when you get the urge

On the back of the tach, there are three terminals on the lower half of the tach. If there is not a lead already present, run a wire from the negative side of the coil to the center terminal on the lower half of the tach.

post-22859-13667665992007_thumb.jpg

Do I need the tach?

absolutely not

Guest Anonymous

tachs come in handy when the speedo dont work

Do automatics have those little red notches denoting red line for each gear on the speedo?

Unless you have a rev limiter!

:-p

if you can drive a car without a tach, you are not driving it hard enough...;-)

however under Max Hoffman all US spec 2002s were equipped with tachs--a "non optional option." When BMW AG took over as US importer in mid-1975, US spec cars started showing up with (or without) options not previously seen, such as cloth upholstery and--possibly--without tachs.

Most likely explanation is that the cluster was swapped out. Check the date stamped on the back of your cluster and see if it's close to the dates stamped on the tail light assemblies or other dated parts on the car. That might be a clue.

mike

The tach was listed under Standard Equipment on the window sticker of my (manual) '76, which is an April '76 car ( VIN 2742541). As Mike says, anything is possible but a swapped out cluster is the most likely explanation.

Steve

You don't need the tach, but it's nice to have. Certainly better than a broken clock.

Replacing one of the gauges in the cluster is an easy job. And a tach should be easy to find on the parts for sale forum; you shouldn't have to buy the whole cluster. Come to think of it, I have one (late model cluster) lying around, if you're interested.

Hugh

Does the Automatic car have a tach? Maybe he switched the clusters..? The Auto's didn't have one naturally. Also, you should check the numbers on the speedos vs. differential ratios to see if they have the proper calibrations, so read properly.. This may provide clues.

That being said, I put a tach in my daughters automatic. Its an easy swap, as stated above.