• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two, hopefully quick questions...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, right now my interior is non existant, and im almost done getting the contact cement residue and little bits of tar left over from the sound mat off. While I'm doing this im eyeing my pedal box and thinking about battery placement.

First things first, I swear it wasnt posted very long ago here but I did search for all sorts of different keywords but couldnt find it. Does anybody have the link to where somebody put a little gellcell under their rear seat (drivers side) and ran battery terminal cables up the trunk wall to allow charging from the trunk? I THINK it was a hawker battery that was used, but am not certain. I thought it was a great idea, and cant find the link ANYWHERE.

Next, Im going to be taking my pedal box out soon enough anyway to get around the pedals to clean up around there and paint, so I might as well rebuild it too, right? I printed off the FAQ pedal box removal and rebuilding instructions by Paul Wegweiser and it says ".......Pedal box bushing and spring kits are about $35.00 or so......" so is there an actual single kit for the box/is all the stuff still available to rebuild one? Where could I get that stuff anyway, Maximillian's, a dealer, etc? Oh and regarding Max's does anybody have any idea what the status of the 2002 online catalog is?

Anyway, thanks.

-Justin

2002sig.gif

Guest Anonymous

I remember the post on the gel cell underseat mounting too--on this board sometime since the first of the year. Couldn't find it either...

I think the folks at Max's will make you up a pedal box overhaul kit from the part numbers. It's not shown in the parts book as a "kit" but they know all the part numbers you'll need. Presume your car's VIN is above 1665200; at that point they changed the clutch pedal return spring setup, and the pieces are little different.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

and try to get it to you. Worst case, i think i even printed it out because it was so well done: have to find the hard copy / scan/send. Oh well- let me find it: BTW: he put the gel cell under rear seat, driver's side. Amp is under rear seat, pax side.

Guest Anonymous

i got mine from Max, but I think bimmerparts is the same deal.

Anyways...a couple things that I went back and purchased because the 'kit' doesn't include it (obviously, if you think about it)

- new rubber pads for the clutch/brake levers. makes it look way nicer

- new bolts for the pedal box (to bolt it to the floor). there must be like 8 or 10. you can buy whatever ones at a hardware shop, but if you want originality, the bmw ones have that little 'cutting notch' in them, makes it easier to put in. may as well put new shiny washers in there too.

while you are at it, do something with the access hole on the bottom of the pedal box. i personally took a little square piece of sheet aluminum and tapped 2 holes in the pedal box and bolted it down with little allen head bolts. lay a strip of silicone around the aluminum before you put it in. much better than the foam/rubber stuff that was original.

Another thing..that pedal box usually is so grimey and has a lot of stupid bends that I would HIGHLY recommend taking it all apart, getting it sandblasted, then giving it a coat of epoxy. i also blasted/epoxied my pedal levers in silver. you will be there for hours with a wire brush trying to clean it off. looks about a million times better.

Matt

'72 02/m20

Guest Anonymous

....that was me. It was indeed the Hawker. Genesis 16 I believe. Mark, on the other board clued me in and he has the web page. I'll post the link if it's still on my @#%$#^%&^$ iBook when Apple sends it back to me-never buy a Mac-They SUCK!! I'm on my 4 year old PC typing this while my 5 month old iBook has it's guts laying on some geeks work bench---oops, sorry, I digress. The Hawker works great. It's TINY. It's so small you could fit ten of the damn things under the back seat. It cranks as well as any battery I've used. Also, it was relatively cheap-$65.00 plus shipping. I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else. If I ever meet that Mark guy, beers are on me! You could try posting the "other" board and maybe Mark would see it.

Guest Anonymous

I was laughing my ass off the entire time reading your message. "you shoulda known better to start with!" hah. Yea, that was one incredibly clean install you had though, I'm definatley gonna do something like that. Two or 3 projects before that happens though :(

-Rebuilding pedal box, stripping and painting floor pan area and just about anywhere else I can reach with POR15 "just in case", rebuilding heaterbox which is currently lying in a bazillion pieces on my floor in my room here (in a box), and finishing my console. Im covering that in naugahyde and it is looking incredibly cool so far. I just need a better condition shifter surround (really anything that doesnt have chunks missing, like mine, anybody got one? lol) so i can cover that in naugahyde as well to make everything match, then create a faceplate.

THEN i can do this battery thing :)

Guest Anonymous

...not long ago. The funs just a startin. wait till you scrape the goo off the floor. Get drunk first-trust me. FWIW-it was well worth it.

Guest Anonymous

hah, all that tar and contact cement? It already is off the floor, 99.999% of it anyway. I was reffering to stripping the floor pan by taking off most of the primer and paint thats left that wasnt scraped all up, mostly everything thats left is really ugly seam sealer which got torn all up when i was taking out the tar--so I started to take it out too, thats another thing ive got to do, buy some of that shit. Pedal box bushings and two visor clips are on the way, and just took apart my headliner for a pattern today since Im gonna make my own. Good progress without much money to work with, doing the cheap stuff for now :) Good idea to me!!