littlehandegan

Odometer quit working...??

5 posts / 658 viewsLast Reply

My odometer has stopped working on my 1971.

Anything to check to get it functioning again?

It is a true 98,000 mile car and has stopped last week at 98,281...Kind of a bummer.

"how to": http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,324889/highlight,odometer+repair/

If the main drive gear has just lost it's friction fitting (or dried glue finally let go) to the drive shaft, you can just re-create the pressure/glued fitting. I have done it to 5 units and works fine. No parts required. Curt's thread and mine both show "how to"

Curt's (R.I.P.) "how to"in the FAQ's section, which is where I learned to fix it: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/

Good luck with it-

Scott

Go to odometergears.com--they have a kit of replacement gears for your 02 speedometer, complete with instructions...and you can call 'em for guidance if you get stuck doing the repair... good product, good guys.

cheers

mike

+1 sislane, if the gear slips on the shaft.

I had the problem: the main drive gear (a press fit to the shaft) had loosened on the shaft and was slipping.

Gentle disassembly, some gentle hammer "persuasion" on the shaft to oblong it a teeny tiny bit where the gear resides, reassemble.

Works fine. It took longer to get the assembly in & out of the dashboard than it did to do the fix. And if desired you can readjust the odometer to any desired mileage while disassembled.

Cheers,

Carl