• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dummy Front Fog Light Switch - Removal - Help

redtop

I am replacing the Weber 32/36 carburetor with an automatic choke in my 1976 BMW 2002. The replacement carburetor has a manual choke. I would like to install the choke cable where the dummy knob for the front fog lights resides. I may use the dummy knob as the choke cable knob to keep that "stock" look. I decided not to install the choke cable in the factory location: in the plastic steering wheel pan opposite the ignition switch. To do so, I would have to drill a hole in the steering wheel pan. I'd rather not do that.

If I remove the instrument cluster - by removing the two screws for the speedometer and disconnecting the speedometer cable - will this allow me access to remove the nut holding the dummy knob to the dash? If not, what is the easiest way for me to access the dummy knob so that I remove it to install the choke cable?

Thank you for your help.

Paul

Find someone parting out a pre-late 72 car (shouldn't be difficult--it's a part that never goes bad, just might need paint) with a metal lower steering colulmn surround--it already has the hole for a choke cable.

And...a stock choke cable won't be long enough to reach the dummy fog light switch on the instrument binnacle. It's actually an inch too short to reach the Weber's manual choke, but you can lengthen the cable with a small clamp, and make a longer cable sheath attachment arm that bolts to the carb.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Find someone parting out a pre-late 72 car (shouldn't be difficult--it's a part that never goes bad, just might need paint) with a metal lower steering colulmn surround--it already has the hole for a choke cable.

And...a stock choke cable won't be long enough to reach the dummy fog light switch on the instrument binnacle. It's actually an inch too short to reach the Weber's manual choke, but you can lengthen the cable with a small clamp, and make a longer cable sheath attachment arm that bolts to the carb.

cheers

mike

As an alternative if you look on the plastic version of the piece that Mike referenced in his post, you will see a circle on the backside scribed where the hole would be if the car came with a choke cable. Jegs has a generic choke cable for less than $7.00 that is perfect...trim to fit as it is longer than you will need. That is how I hooked the cold start devices on my Mikuni 44PHH.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I've been wanting to hook up the manual choke on my 38/38. The Jegs manual cable looks perfect. Just ordered it---$6.99, free shipping (but a $4.99 handling fee).

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold