CubbyChowder

New exhaust studs too short?

15 posts / 856 viewsLast Reply

I recently ordered a new set of exhaust studs/nuts and noticed that they are a bit different in design. The original ones had a shoulder (unthreaded section), and my new ones are all thread. The new ones are also about a quarter inch shorter in length than the originals, my dad is convinced they wont work and is very hesitant about using them anyways. Did I receive the wrong studs or do people use these all the time? I ordered them through Blunt using part #'s that I found on numerous articles/write-ups here on the forum.

That is what I ended up with too, I just made sure that there was enough exposed stud so that the nut would lock properly. This was about 2 months ago and so far they have worked fine but as you probably know the real test is over the long term. I got mine from Blunt.

Dad is correct.

try ordering from BMWDealer

and use the correct copper exhaust nuts with washers, please

CD--why washers on the exhaust side? I have never used them over the past 20 years and have never had a problem with either the nuts coming loose or not being able to take them off when I need to. RealOEM does not show washers, only the copper locknut: 11621744323

Same goes for the downpipe. RealOEM only shows a nut (18301737774) and I have never used a washer here either. What is the critical factor you are concerned with?

Thanks, Fred

Dad is correct.

try ordering from BMWDealer

Puuuleeeeze...

or you can go to a decent hardware or auto parts store...

Is there a correct part number I should be looking out for? Kind of sucks I need different ones, I doubt I'll be able to return mine since we threaded them in and out a few times while examining them. Oh well, what's another $20 at this point.

Is there a correct part number I should be looking out for? Kind of sucks I need different ones, I doubt I'll be able to return mine since we threaded them in and out a few times while examining them. Oh well, what's another $20 at this point.

I sent you OE BMW studs by part number ... if youre unhappy in the least all you have to do is call and Ill take them back. But thats what youre going to get over the counter at BMW I would never sub aftermarket parts for OE stuff unless requested. Im glad to take them back whether youve screwed them in or not. but those are the correct studs direct from BMW

I sent you OE BMW studs by part number ... if youre unhappy in the least all you have to do is call and Ill take them back. But thats what youre going to get over the counter at BMW I would never sub aftermarket parts for OE stuff unless requested. Im glad to take them back whether youve screwed them in or not. but those are the correct studs direct from BMW

Interesting, I wonder why they changed them. I was in no way trying to talk down your business at all with this thread, I've been more than happy every time I've ordered through you and I'm a returning customer for a reason.

I guess there's no point in returning them if that's what I'll get anywhere. I appreciate the offer to return them though.

Interesting, I wonder why they changed them. I was in no way trying to talk down your business at all with this thread, I've been more than happy every time I've ordered through you and I'm a returning customer for a reason.

I guess there's no point in returning them if that's what I'll get anywhere. I appreciate the offer to return them though.

They changed them because they are cheaper to produce without the shoulder. Its the way of the world I guess. I know you wernt talking us down I just wanted you to know those are indeed OE

I thought the same thing when I did the studs on an M20 B25 motor.

20,000 miles later, no problem with the studs. Got them from Blunt.

No stud jokes yet?

Washers?

Interesting this came up. I just removed my 10 month old downpipe in advance of removing my transmission.

I can see discoloration on one edge of the (10 month old) gasket that tells me there is an exhaust leak. I've never seen washers used there, but it may help this potentially aggravating problem.

A leak there can potentially cause backfiring (?) as air is sucked in on deceleration. Am I right?

CD--why washers on the exhaust side? I have never used them over the past 20 years and have never had a problem with either the nuts coming loose or not being able to take them off when I need to. RealOEM does not show washers, only the copper locknut: 11621744323

The washers are built into the sigle use, copper exhaust nuts.

hth,

bob

my dad ended up going to a local NAPA auto parts and they had basically the exact stud as the originals, only the shoulder is a tiny bit longer, shouldn't affect anything.

If anyone is interested in my ones that I ordered from Blunt, you can have them for cheap. Just email me at [email protected]