jackrabbit

E21 Bumper Swap

13 posts / 2259 viewsLast Reply

How closely will the bumper mount on? Thinking about doing a bumper tuck soon and have seen a couple 02s with the E21 bumper and my interest was piqued, as it looks pretty darn good. Any idea on how much jimmy rigging it will take to install?

the e21 front will fit better than the o2 bumper and is just about plug-n-play....i had one on my 76 for a short while

Why did you take it off?

i put chrome bumpers on the car

Even after compressing the bumper shocks it will still hang out pretty far in front of the car unless you cut and drill pipe to get it snug with the body. Top End Performance sells a kit that will get the bumper flush with the nose. http://www.racetep.com/02bump.html

I had to redrill the E21 bumper for the front shock mounts and the bellows. I didnt do a bumper tuck. It looks better than the stock front bumper because it follows the contour of the 02 front end.

post-18686-13667665964608_thumb.jpg

Looks like what the park bench's should have looked like

Totally agree

Even after compressing the bumper shocks it will still hang out pretty far in front of the car unless you cut and drill pipe to get it snug with the body. Top End Performance sells a kit that will get the bumper flush with the nose. http://www.racetep.com/02bump.html

80 bucks for a couple pieces of pipe :/ Seems excessive. I'd love to see a write up on how you did yours. Your car is the reason I'm interested in doing this swap/tuck

Agreed! Those are expensive. I used galvanized fence pipe, a drill, and a grinder wheel. Trial and error with lots of left over failures. I should have taken measurements when I got it right. Measure twice - cut once doesn't really apply with these (at least not for me). At some point I'd like to redo it and use proper tools (band saw and drill press).

Guest Anonymous

Did my first 76 bumper tuck with schedule 40 pvc pipe, thought it would be lighter, knew it would be easier and cheaper, and hoped it might absorb, by splitting some of a light impact, never had the bad fortune to test that theory but it worked like a charm and was plenty strong.

compress your bumper shocks then remove and measure them