Larboard

1968 BMW 2002 Driveshaft Help

3 posts / 409 viewsLast Reply

Hi all, I was trying to re-install my driveshaft and new Guibo and what a tight fit. I loosend up the final drive bolts thinking it was going to slide in there, but ended up using a jack to push the middle of the shaft up to get it aligned. All the bushings have been replaced in the rear unit and a new tranny bushing/mount installed. Am I missing another adjustment area? I havn't replaced the engine mounts yet as they are on order. Perhaps the engine is sitting too far back? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

The differential mounting holes are slotted.

Edit: Forget the above. I should read everything 3 times.

The differential mounting holes are slotted.

I believe that was what was meant by "loosening the final drive".

I have a similar situation on my '69 but not as bad. It takes a bit of a push to get the center bearing up to the bolt holes. There really is no other adjustment. The engine of course can be angled a bit side to side by loosening the engine mounts, but that should not be the technique for fitting the driveshaft in terms of length.

Perhaps the new guibo is for some reason thicker than the old one, or your new bushings (are they poly?) put the diff slightly more forward than the old ones. Loosen the final drive bolts again, take a couple of them out and look up in the slot with a flashlight. If the diff is all the way back in the slot then the problem is not with the diff bushings. If it is the diff bushings perhaps you can shave them a bit.

EDIT: Is the diff bushing carrier installed backwards? I forget if it is possible to do that, but worth checking.

Can you estimate by how much the driveshaft appears to be forward? If it is not much, I would look for a different brand of guibo and see if it was slightly thinner.

I think I read recently that the should be a slight preload (up/down) on the driveshaft when installed, such that it "pops" out when the center bearing is unbolted. This is different then the axial preload used when tightening the center bearing itself. I am not 100% certain on this, I have always set up the diff so there is no forward/aft axial load on the guibo. If you had to use a jack to get the driveshaft in place I think that can't be good for the final drive or the transmission.

Fred '74tii & '69GT3