Stevenc22

Frist drive after 2 month resto, 2 issues discovered

8 posts / 769 viewsLast Reply

After a 2 month restoration, on the first test drive 2 small issues have been discovered.

1) Rear passenger side wheel seems to be binding. With the wheel off, the hub spins freely, but when you add the wheel and torque the lug nuts, something binds and the wheel is very difficult to spin. Any thoughts?

2) The engine start and idles very nicely when cold, but as the engine heats up the idle becomes lumpy and so does the power delivery. The engine has a weber 32/36 with all smog controls removed. I have not yet set timing or dialed in the carb, but I'm wondering if something else could cause the bad running when hot.

Thanks

Steven

Try bolting on the wheel without the brake drum and see if the wheel now spins properly. If it does, either the brake shoes are adjusted too tight or the drum is warped. Had the same problem, and finally tracked it to a warped drum. New drum cured the problem.

cheers

mike

1- it's quite possible, as mike and Marshall have said, to misadjust the shoes

with the wheel off.

Try loosening them with the wheel on

(no, it's not trivial)

and if that does it, then readjust 'em with the wheel on.

I use a couple of nuts and spacers to snug the drum before adjusting-

that seems to work, too.

2- uhhh.... set the timing first. Then look at what the choke's doing. THEN start

looking at other things.

3- 2- month resto? you're making the rest of us look like slackers, here.

t

Thanks guys, good advise, ill check it out tonight.

Everything is new, shoes, drums, master cylinders, springs ect. Ill try playing around with the brakes to see what the problem is.

If you changed the bearings I hope you didn't forget to put the spacer back in. Ask me how I know.

I changed front bearings only.

But its funny you mention that because there were so many jobs where i thought i was done and was cleaning up my tools and come across a stray bolt or washer that i forgot!