willie002

rough acceleration

7 posts / 550 viewsLast Reply

On heavy acceleration over 4000 RPM’s my car starts running a little rough. It’s like it develops a hesitation or cuts out. The plugs, heavy plug wires, rotor cap and rotor are all fairly new and fit tight and seem to all be hooked up right. Everything runs great until I’m over the 4000 RPM point. It runs smooth and has great acceleration under the 4000 RPM mark. I’m not sure if it matters but I also have the Pertonix ignition in it with a blue coil.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

I have a couple of suggestions to check.

1. Fuel delivery. You may have a clogged filter on your fuel tank pickup or a clogged fuel filter. Or both.

2. Carburetor jetting. If you can find someone with a wideband 02 gauge that will help you get the carb dialed in. But if not, then do some research on what jets do what, then make some changes. Or, find a good carb tuner.

Guest gliding_serpent

I had a similar issue, but it was under partial acceleration around 3k rpm +/- depending on gear. It turned out to be a loose distributor wire that was vibrating at specific times.

I thought of "Ruf" when I saw the threat title. I was going to say Ruf's accelerate great.

You stated blue coil... Did you remove the resistor that is found with a black coil? the internal resistance of the blue coil is greater then with the black, so having the stock resistor in place only causes problems.

Also check that the +12v ignition line is intact without issues, and connected to fuse box properly. is your point gap set correctly? check it with a dwell meter if you can. Also check your ignition timing is correct, and that the ignition rotor and cap aren't worn. Worst case it is a coil on the way out, but first check the things mentioned above.

Well, it turn out that the coil was corroded where the distributer wire connects. Cleaned both the coil and the wire and everything works fine.

Thanks for all the help.